Question Keyboard replacement disaster

Feb 28, 2021
Hi,

Some time ago I had problems with the spacebar of my dell xps-13. It wasn't registering off center hits. I made a big mistake and removed the spacebar, but just couldn't get it back in again.

So I looked around for a great laptop repair shop in my area, and found one with great reviews. After a week or so of looking at it, they said they also couldn't put the spacebar back in, and it was best to replace the whole keyboard. Fine I thought. The whole process was taking ages, and once they phoned and asked me if I wanted to have the inside of the laptop cleaned for an extra 30 euros.

Anyway, finally I could pick it up, but it was horrible. Key were half stuck, and didn't have the feel no where near the original. So I went back, and said I wasn't happy. They said they had ordered a cheap keyboard and they would try to get a better one. All with no extra charge.

Months went by... Finally they called that it was ready, and again a really terrible result. The spacebar doesn't work if it's hit off center. Some keys are ok and other keys seems to be more sticky and clicky.

Basically the keys are worse now than the original before the replacement.

Is it worth trying to save this laptop? I mean the dell xps-13 is still working well. Maybe just putting in a new keyboard is just too difficult in general, and I was expecting too much. These are very compact laptops.

I definitely don't want to go back again to this repair shop.

Thanks for any advice.