Kickstarter-Funded Shaker RPG Gets Mercy Killing

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
So, what is Kickstarters policy on funding failed projects?
Will these devs simply walk away with the $245k and no commitment?
If so, seems like a great business opportunity -_-

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
"Sure, it may have made it," they wrote. "We could have fought our way to a possibly successful end. In reading your feedback and talking it over internally, however, we decided that it made more sense to kill it and come back with something stronger. In game design

In other words, it isn't profitable enough?

Herr_Koos

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]So, what is Kickstarters policy on funding failed projects?Will these devs simply walk away with the $245k and no commitment?If so, seems like a great business opportunity -_-[/citation]

Pledges need to be refunded, as far as I am aware.

G

For Kickstarter, no money is transferred until the project goal is met, since Shaker didn't reach the goal of 1 million, no money is given to the project and donors don't lose anything they attempted to donate.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
If im reading this correctly, this is good news. This means that the people behind the project had doubts and canceled it. This is a good thing in my opinion.
I could have been worst, remember -insert game name here-...you pay and its crap!

lebowska

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Until project is not ended (30 days from the start), all funding made are just a "pledge", no credit card is being touched. In fact the real problem could be just for the developer, when on the expire date some user pledged but "forgot" it (yes you can do it). After this, there's a virtual contract and if the starter of the project doesn't respect that, Kickstarter says he need to refund everything, but this is obv outside the management of the site so everything can happen. This is the risk to fund, in real life like on the net, so no real surprise here

G

This is what I've never understood about Kickstarter. Couldn't people just launch one project after another, collect tons of money and then never deliver? I mean reach the goal then just say "sorry, didn't work out".

Or even if they succeed, the company becomes huge, what do you get for all that risk? You don't own any stock or anything. If I give 10 000$ towards a 250 000$ project, I expect to own 4% of all future profits from that project, not to get to be a boss in a level.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]This is what I've never understood about Kickstarter. Couldn't people just launch one project after another, collect tons of money and then never deliver? I mean reach the goal then just say "sorry, didn't work out".Or even if they succeed, the company becomes huge, what do you get for all that risk? You don't own any stock or anything. If I give 10 000$ towards a 250 000$ project, I expect to own 4% of all future profits from that project, not to get to be a boss in a level.[/citation]Correct. Contributors have to choose carefully so they don't get scammed. Shaker devs weren't convincing enough. I'm not sure if having John Romero involved hurt it's chances or not. Many people still remember Daikatana.

G

Yes Andy Chow but it's hard work just to get to the point of a worthy kickstarter campaign. If you have a ton of morons funding you for a bogus project this yes you could do that. But really people want to see in game trailers and some work done before they give you $10. So know realistically you can't just keep making projects and not deliver but no one will fund you in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS