Kickstarter Users Throw $3 Million Behind Veronica Mars Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
The point of the article is to emphasize the power of Kickstarter and crowd-funding, which is only possible due to technology and global connectivity. I guess that's why it's on Tom's.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
And that type of article should be kept on typical trash-reporting news sites.

Suits the new TomsHardware. Sadly.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
how is a garbage tv show like this getting 3 milion on kickstarter when it didn't even last more than 3 seasons ??? guess folks will watch any thing these days.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I wish Volition would do a kickstarter for Freespace 3. There's a real dearth of space sims. The last one was started by kickstarter which was Strike Suit Zero, although fun was nowhere nearly as engaging as Freespace series, Wing Commander series, or X-wing Tie Fighter games. There's so much potential with today's hardware and a real demand for it.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]tomc100[/nom]I wish Volition would do a kickstarter for Freespace 3. There's a real dearth of space sims. The last one was started by kickstarter which was Strike Suit Zero, although fun was nowhere nearly as engaging as Freespace series, Wing Commander series, or X-wing Tie Fighter games. There's so much potential with today's hardware and a real demand for it.[/citation]
Apparently you haven't heard of Star Citizen, the (partially) crowd-funded space sim being made by Chris Roberts (of Wing Commander/Privateer/Freelancer fame)? You should check it out.

www.robertsspaceindustries.com

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
[citation][nom]kyuuketsuki[/nom]Apparently you haven't heard of Star Citizen, the (partially) crowd-funded space sim being made by Chris Roberts (of Wing Commander/Privateer/Freelancer fame)? You should check it out.www.robertsspaceindustries.com[/citation]
I'm watching Star Citizen as well, but I too would love to see an actual Freespace 3 and learn more about the backstory. Alas, I believe the IP is stuck with Interplay and thus Volition would have difficulties making Freespace 3 even if they wanted to.

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Kickstarter should be a way for fan favs with underestimated followings to get projects rolling. This made me think of Don Coscarelli not getting the funding to make the last Phantasm movie that was penned by Roger Avery and Bruce Campbell was going to be in it. I wish they would do a kickstarter and make this happen.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]how is a garbage tv show like this getting 3 milion on kickstarter when it didn't even last more than 3 seasons ??? guess folks will watch any thing these days.[/citation]

You mean like how family guy was cancelled twice, the first time being after the 3rd season i believe and it was only after support from its massive fanbase (DVD sales) that it restarted? just because a show is cancelled doesnt mean that no one was watching it.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
some how i knew this was going to be on toms of one of the 3 things i saw on other sites yesterday.
it had raised 1 million in just 2 hours and another 600k in the 3rd hour alone from under 10,000 uesers.

just surprised the kid who bought $2,500 in game items in 10 minutes on his parents iPad didn't make it also.

TuffLittleUnit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]kyuuketsuki[/nom]Apparently you haven't heard of Star Citizen, the (partially) crowd-funded space sim being made by Chris Roberts (of Wing Commander/Privateer/Freelancer fame)? You should check it out.www.robertsspaceindustries.com[/citation]

The Wing Commander games were rubbish in terms of space combat. Flashy video etc but not a touch on the Freespace and XWing/Tie Fighter series. I wanna fly a B-Wing again!

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Neverdyne[/nom]The point of the article is to emphasize the power of Kickstarter and crowd-funding, which is only possible due to technology and global connectivity. I guess that's why it's on Tom's.[/citation]
Many previous Kickstarter projects have proved that to be the case, today this article is pointless in that regard. So the real question is why Tom's has article about dumb show?

Status
Not open for further replies.