Kid Racks Up £1150 Xbox Live Bill, Father Blames MSFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I can understand where the father's coming from, but I think the idea of linking your credit card to the same xbox live profile your child uses is substantially idiotic.

maqsabre

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
so it took six months for the kid's parent to realise what his spoiled child was into,
another example of bad parenting

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I can understand and to an extent agree with the father's position.

Let's look at Steam where there are several steps required to make a purchase. To me that system does it right, whereas MS does it wrong.

At least go the Amazon route where one click shopping has to be intentionally enabled by the user.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
It also could have been prevented by the father not giving his kid his credit card number, or by teaching his son some responsibility and taking charge by explaining the entire deal. Not even going to get into a child playing call of duty that cant understand msft points cost real money.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
here's a thought... don't link your CC to the account. Purchase MS points and membership cards at the store that way he can only spend what you give him.

G

Yeah, aren't there already some parental controls on the Xbox 360 that would have prevented this? I've never messed with them myself as I don't even use Xbox Live, but I would imagine that if he set up the parental controls, the Xbox wouldn't let the kid just go crazy buying points??

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
This guy needs to be bound over as a ward of the state, he is clearly incapable of reading or handling money. He had to put his card details into Xbox Live and agree the T&C for click to pay
Yet another example of the stupid general public obfuscating all responsibility for everything, I would make this guy pay TWICE just to teach him a lesson

G

What exactly did he think he was linking his credit card to the Xbox for. Getting stuff for free, he saw his son purchasing things for points and he thinks these points come for free. How can you get it so wrong !

He deserves the bill!

tehTyrant

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
The thing is, he could be like a lot of parents who have no idea about how this stuff works. Not every parent knows shit about consoles or computers. A lot of parents don't know the CC info SAVES in the account info. Even when you just subscribe for Xbox Live gold, the CC info is saved and can be used for further purchases. I am not sure if parental controls can stop that or what extent parental controls have. And it doesn't even tell you the INFO is saved on the console. How could have he had known?

He could have set up his kids account, payed for it with his CC, and never knew the info is now stored on the Xbox. I mean shit, it's actually "hidden" pretty hard in the Xbox settings to remove payment options and then if you aren't bombarded with a errors trying to remove it (like I have been "unable to retrieve information").

Granted this could have been prevented if he watched his account info.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
M$ is not to blame. Somebody needs to understand the system a little bit better - maybe take the time to read? Maybe also look into what it means to have an open credit card with a system like Xbox Live?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]The father must be a human. Always someone else's fault is their nature and also sue, sue sue happy they are.[/citation]

fixed.

peroludiarom

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I'm a developer, and I don't agree that Consoles like XBox, that are made for children's mostly, have click-buy function. MS should fix this asap, and they are for blame.

peroludiarom

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I'm a developer, and I don't agree that Consoles like XBox, that are made for children's mostly, have click-buy function. MS should fix this asap, and they are for blame.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Not only is this guy dumb for letting his son run riot on his creditcard and not checking his accounts...

...he withdraws money using it!

He's part of the reason the world is in financial crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.