Killer Wireless-N 1202 In HP Pavilion G6-2249WM

Vampyre97

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Looking at upgrading my Mini PCI-E Wireless card in my HP Pavilion G6-2249 WM laptop. Was wondering if anyone knew if HP's are picky about what Mini Wireless NIC card they'll take?

Solution
I guess in that case your best bet would be to find a thread that indicates a particular model that has worked in your laptop model. I can only comment on standards that should be compatible, not every particular hardware model's compatibility, unfortunately. Since I don't own your model of laptop, I can neither confirm nor refute that card working with it, at least not personally.
So long as the PCI express slot design is the same, it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure drivers for the hardware are available for the version of windows you're running prior to buying it as some Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers have turned out to not be supported in both systems in a few cases.

Vampyre97

Honorable
May 12, 2013
That's what I'm wondering. Will the drivers work in 8.1, and will it work with the UEFI? I remember for a while HP's wouldn't take anything other than I think Broadcomm and like 1 or 2 other MiniPCI-E Wireless NIC's.

It doesn't matter about it being HP, it matters about the OS. Hardware is hardware. If it has the correct expansion slot that corresponds to the requirement of the card it should work fine as long as the hardware has driver compatibility with the OS. Granted, there are occasionally certain hardware components that don't play well with a particular brand of motherboard but usually when they conform to a standard, they work, as long as driver compatibility is assured. Is there a particular model card you're looking at?

Vampyre97

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Tis in the title. Lol. I have a Ralink RT3920 or 3290 right now, the Killer 1202 is what I'm looking at. And I've seen a lot, don't know if it varies from BIOS to UEFI, but the BIOS in HP laptops wasn't getting along with other MiniPCI-E wireless NIC's.

I guess in that case your best bet would be to find a thread that indicates a particular model that has worked in your laptop model. I can only comment on standards that should be compatible, not every particular hardware model's compatibility, unfortunately. Since I don't own your model of laptop, I can neither confirm nor refute that card working with it, at least not personally.

Solution