Kindle vs. iPhone: Amazon Launches Ebook App

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
You are comparing LCD display on a device that lasts for a few hours per charge to much bigger eink display device witch lasts for days if not weeks.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I prefer buying a book and reading it at home than read a book on a small lcd screen. Even if the kindle has a bigger screen, it just wont feel right.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]You are comparing LCD display on a device that lasts for a few hours per charge to much bigger eink display device witch lasts for days if not weeks.[/citation]
But it also costs $400. I already own an iPhone. I would never throw down the money and actually buy the Kindle for the price they are asking. If they could get it in the $20-40 range, I might take another look at it.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Different markets. I love my iPhone but reading whole books on it sounds cumbersome to be honest, not to mention in broad daylight it's not that easy to read either. The Kindle on the other hand is another device to carry around and not cheap either, but for reading it's certainly better. So if you're an avid reader, the iPhone wouldn't cut it anyway. If you're an occasional reader, you probably wouldn't invest in the Kindle. So all in all it's market expansion if anything, and a wise move by Amazon.

delenn1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Reading on an iTouch/iPhone is really not the cumbersome. I have read a real book, an ebook on my desktop, an ebook on my pda, listened to an audiobook on my iTouch and now I am reading an ebook on my iTouch. The size of a Dell Axim in not that much different from the itouch and since the font can be adjusted, the small screen isn't really a problem. I love to read books and have found the ability to read anywhere to be very refreshing. I can read as many books as I want at one time. My reader of choice is Stanza. Kindle on a iTouch is great for those books that are only in kindle format, but for the majority of my ebooks, I'll stick with Stanza and hookd into Fictionwise, BooksonBoard, Ellorascave, AllRomance and Ereader to purchases and download my books. That way I get the desktop copy of the book as well as the itouch copy.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Amazon should add a phone app (Skype?) to the Kindle. . .after adding a microphone, of course. Just got the Kindle 2 last week and it's pretty amazing. . .the screen is terrific for reading, and now with graphics, albeit gray scale images, it's quite something. I really got it for my wife's birthday, and now that it plays mp3 files, she can listen to music while reading. Quite the happy camper, she is. BUT there's still some user interface issues to work on -- the mp3 playing for one. But with upgrades coming wirelessly through the the Sprint connection. . .nice touch. Reading a book on in iPhone. . .I don't think so, regardless of the battery issues.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wait a minute, just yesterday Tom's Guide posts a story about eReaders and how the iPhone with Stanza (which only reads out-of-copyright books) is a possible threat. Now that Amazon has released their entire book library for purchase on the iPhone, suddenly the iPhone isn't that good of an eReader. If a website is going to be so opinionated in its stories, stick with an opinion, don't flip-flop (I know, different authors, but still).

That said, how long till my Android phone gets this app? Amazon shows us love with their MP3 store, but not with their book store. Gee thanks Amazon.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I can't imagine reading books on a small backlit screen. The Kindle's e-ink screen is vastly superior. But I still prefer paperbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.