Kinect May Have Issues with Dark-Skinned Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Does seem to tell us something about Microsoft's employee base. At least in QA, anyway. I mean, you'd think they'd at least have a black guy nearby...

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Hehe, is there a physical counterpart to this in referencing a service pack prior to upgrading an OS? This would seem to echo to that.

Early adopters of this product are the real beta testers?

G

Well, at least when the robot apocalypse arrives, black guys won't have anything to worry about :p

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
One more to the white man.

How does it feel black dudes?

xD

this is pretty funny, but you can guarantee people will get offended by it. But then, people are idiots.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
"Foreshadowing" - waiting for the ACLU, Rev. Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton to come into the main plot of this story. *grabs popcorn, sits back, and watches*....

G

No the article has got it wrong, it's a deliberate security feature which is intended to deter thieves.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
It's fixed!!! But it's funny that it was delayed because of something as simple as skin pigmentation, apparently it worked with Lamps though, so when some of the testers said it didnt work with them, they joked saying to put a lampshade on your head. Imagine being the person who had to go up to microsoft management and tell them why Kinect had to be delayed.

aleh1811

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Regardless of accusations of racisms (which would be unjustified) It'd be pretty annoying to buy a device and find out it doesn't work simply because of some given characteristic of your body, race related or not. It's just a waste of money, and a turn down.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aleh1811[/nom]Regardless of accusations of racisms (which would be unjustified) It'd be pretty annoying to buy a device and find out it doesn't work simply because of some given characteristic of your body, race related or not. It's just a waste of money, and a turn down.[/citation]
You mean like if Michael J Fox bought one and every time his Parkinson's goes off he fudges a game?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]aleh1811[/nom]Regardless of accusations of racisms (which would be unjustified) It'd be pretty annoying to buy a device and find out it doesn't work simply because of some given characteristic of your body, race related or not. It's just a waste of money, and a turn down.[/citation]

you can allays return it...problem solved

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Outdated? Really? What device do you use that has facial recognition and full body motion detection? Yeah, I thought so.[/citation]

A computer and a webcam noob. All I would need is a software, but I dont see the point.

Keep you KKKinect.

Status
Not open for further replies.