Kneber Botnet Puts Conficker to Shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Seriously, are people (mainly gov't/businesses) this stupid? I haven't gotten a virus or any other cr@p like that (except for the SecuROM root kit which got installed with Spore which was my sisters fault). Keep your stuff up to date and don't be stupid and click on "free xxx.jpg.exe" files,links,etc.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Oh noes! Teh grammas! der computers are bein haxed!!! Not the tax records!!1! Matlock!!!1!

Seriously... it's sad. The primary targets of these cyber attacks rarely fall victim. It's always the elderly and the tadpoles, er, kids that end up downloading viruses.
Why can't they just find something productive to do?

G

Hey Parrish...you should ad to this article a note about scareware. People see headlines like yours, read the article, then start looking up ways to detect if they have it--this leads them to websites that have hijacked the search results so that people aren't finding actual fixes, but ways to (further) infect their machines.

See this entry from Symantec: http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/kneber-zeus

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Makes me wonder if having a PC at every desk is really all that wise. Maybe in the future, forcing millions of people who will never "get" computers to use them will be seen as a reckless experiment. I'm no guru, but I had to show someone how to use a mouse when the company switched to a computer (instead of paper) system. I'm not kidding, they didn't know how to use a mouse. How are they going to survive a virus/phishing scam?

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]rigaudio[/nom]I can't even remember the last time I GOT an email with an attachment.[/citation]
^ +1000

I actually never remembered when I was last infected with viruses. And virus-ridden mail.

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]I guess government network doesn't mean government level protection[/citation]

It's just a level of protection I expect from the british government. They already lost persolan data of few million people on CDs, laptops, memory sticks and hell knows what else.

My 3yr old daughter can take care of any toy taken to the nursery and always brings it back. If some highly paid moron manages to loose his laptop with confidential data, he should go back to pre-school education.

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]I guess government network doesn't mean government level protection[/citation]

It's just a level of protection I expect from the british government. They already lost persolan data of few million people on CDs, laptops, memory sticks and hell knows what else.

My 3yr old daughter can take care of any toy taken to the nursery and always brings it back. If some highly paid moron manages to loose his laptop with confidential data, he should go back to pre-school education.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]core i7 ownage[/nom]^ +1000I actually never remembered when I was last infected with viruses. And virus-ridden mail.[/citation]

I can remember it, there was no email back then and it came on a diskette with an illegal copy of wolfenstein 3d. But I was too already too l33t to get one from my 33.6kbps connection...

G

Ok people, just because it's a government network doesn't mean they have every one on that network as super IT geeky intelligence.

Most of the people are regular secretaries that know how to push button "A" to get "B" result, and data crunch all day long. When a prompt comes up, most are annoyed and will click madly push the cancel button to make it go away, cause they need that button "A" to continue there work. That cancel button is usually a picture and not a real prompt that then installs those pesky spyware/viruses.

Now the government IT guys can only put so many protections in place, but they can not protect against naive workers that slave through the day, then decide to load up that new virus/maleware/spyware disguised as a funny joke that is passing through the office.

@Shadow703793 please don't bash people immediately just because 40-60 year old workers, who did not grow up on computers, strain the patience of government IT network guys every day

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS