Know Video Games? Name All These Consoles!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
cool videos. Most of those I've never heard of or seen. I actually have had 8 of them shown in the 2 part vid:

pong(except mine was a 4 paddle version not shown in the vid)
atari 2600 delux(delux version not shown)
mattel football (shown @ 2:44, the center handheld)
commodore vic-20
commodore 64
commodore 128
xbox
xbox360

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]Fail at including commodores in there those are PCs not consoles.[/citation]

actually, commodores were not PCs since they were not PC compatible. Not until the commodore colt came out which had an 8088 processor...but that was near the end of the road for commodore. The company folded up shortly after. The commodore vic-20, 64, and 128 had slots for game cartridges so they were in fact game consoles.

seamusmac

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Well the videos are nice but they did miss one line of computer consoles, the Tandy TRS line available through Radio Shack. I had the TRS 80 CoCo 1 as my first computer in 1980.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Pong
Atari2600
Odyssey 2000
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga
SNES
3DO
Playstation x2 (ff7 killed the first one... lol)
N64
Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Playstation 3

oh god release me from this hell!!!!

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Quite a bit of gaming history in there. I love games as much as the next geek, but I cannot help thinking that all the engineering that went into those gaming systems would have placed mankind well past Mars :) Not counting the hours of fun spent in front of them.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]cool videos. Most of those I've never heard of or seen. I actually have had 8 of them shown in the 2 part vid:pong(except mine was a 4 paddle version not shown in the vid)atari 2600 delux(delux version not shown)mattel football (shown @ 2:44, the center handheld)commodore vic-20commodore 64commodore 128xboxxbox360[/citation]
Considering that consoles are evolving away from gaming enthusiasts and towards mainstream consumers that accept mediocrity, I'd say consoles best days are behind them.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]true, one day we will look back on consoles like the PS3 and 360 and think they were crappy consoles, but they led to the development of the consoles of the future.[/citation]
Considering that consoles are evolving away from gaming enthusiasts and towards mainstream consumers that accept mediocrity, I'd say consoles best days are behind them.

Sorry for the double post, but without an edit/delete feature....

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]
PongAtari2600
Odyssey 2000
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga
SNES
3DO
Playstation x2 (ff7 killed the first one... lol)
N64Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
oh god release me from this hell!!!![/citation]

same here FF7 killed my PS so i purchased FF7 for PC, upgraded to win xp a month later to find out i couldn't play it anymore QQ

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]cool videos. Most of those I've never heard of or seen. I actually have had 8 of them shown in the 2 part vid:pong(except mine was a 4 paddle version not shown in the vid)atari 2600 delux(delux version not shown)mattel football (shown @ 2:44, the center handheld)commodore vic-20commodore 64commodore 128xboxxbox360[/citation]

no PS2 ??? :O

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]trandoanhung1991[/nom]@RandomactsFail at attempting to read and understand words."Hagen has compiled a 23-minute video detailing every gaming console and computer in history."'Nuff said.[/citation]

Maybe if you learn to read, you'll clearly see that the article says that the video includes computers.

"There are over 450 consoles, computers, and dedicated game machines in this video

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I am personally fond of the inclusion of Commodore's Amiga (and C64). A great example for mismanaged technology. Mid 80s was a great time for C= and the OS and hardware of the Amiga were very promising. However, the advantages (graphics, multitasking) quickly vanished due to a rigid hardware structure and stagnant development. The Amiga went from an amazing "graphics workstation" (for its time) to an underpowered gaming system in the matter of about 5 - 7 years. It was sad to watch anything after the Amiga 3000 to be very minor improvements year after year while PCs made quantum leaps in the same time frame.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]I'm sorry I am not 200 years old I don't know all of those crappy consoles .[/citation]

At least you are aware of your noob status!

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]I'm sorry I am not 200 years old I don't know all of those crappy consoles .[/citation]

And if we did not have these "200" year old consoles as you so eloquently put it, then you would most likely not have much of any electronic entertainment today.

It sounds like you are a little cranky so please go ask mommy to change your diaper and put you to bed.

Baa Markus ... your making me feel really old ... and i hate that.

I can even tell you what CPU was inside of them.

Give me a 6809 and some fencing wire and I'll make you an irrigation controller ... or maybe a door chime ... lolz.

As for the 200 year old comment ... I shall shun you young n00b ... for a week or so ... heh heh.

/goes back to find pipe and smoking jacket ... and pool cue ... to sort out the "rap" noise coming from next door ... changes mind and looks for another incontinence pad ... forgets where toilet is ... uses closet instead.

Mission accomplished !

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Man those vids bring back memories. We use to own the Sears Atari Pong system and the Atari Stunt Cycle (couldn't remember the name of it until I seen it in the vid). I still have the Commodore VIC20, Atari 2600, and the Mattel football handheld. Some of my friends had the Atari 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision (always remember the baseball game), and the Commodore 128 (with the cassette tape drive--yeah baby!) . My sister had the Atari 7200. I have also owned the Nintendo NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, PS1, PS2, & PS3 (currently), as well as Xbox, and 360 (currently). On the computer side, my first was a Tandy 1000SX, it had the Turbo button which doubled the speed from 3.6MHz to 7.2MHz. I have also had a 386 16MHz, 1GHz P4, and my current Dual Xeon (In progress of building new rig, probably an i7-950). Anywhoo, they were all amazing at that time, but man has times changed. In thirty 30 years we'll look back on today in wonder how we survived with such slow systems.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]There was a lot more single-game systems than I ever knew about.I own a Vectrex and a TI-99/4A.I've played Atari 2600 and 5200 systems (Space Dungeon was awesome with two people sharing movement and fire duty!). I've played a Magnavox Odyssey2 but don't remember much about it.[/citation]
I was gonna say a lot of them look like they would play only ONE game!

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
The oldest machine I have personally played and owned is the original Mattel Intellivision. It was fun, but damn the controller! That, and putting the gameplay in "easy" mode was just a test of your patience, so I always played on the "hardest" because that was the only way to make the games as fast and responsive as I needed them to be.

Otherwise, I've owned
NES (original)
Super NES (original)
Game Boy (Original in gray, Ice Blue pocket, dandelion yellow color)
Playstation 2
Gamecube

Not a huge collection, but I'm still happy with it.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]actually, commodores were not PCs since they were not PC compatible. Not until the commodore colt came out which had an 8088 processor...but that was near the end of the road for commodore. The company folded up shortly after. The commodore vic-20, 64, and 128 had slots for game cartridges so they were in fact game consoles.[/citation]

PC stands for personal computer not a intel 8088 based machine. In those days, 8088 based machines were called "IBM PC compatible."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS