Konami: Android, WP7 'not good enough' for Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
this is an operating system war with the same exact players, windows, linux and mac,(wp7, android, iOS) ...

the more things change the more they stay the same....

G

hmmmmmm vinyl clothes....

erm, back to the issue how did konami ever survived without the app store, im sure bungie must be losing big bucks not being able to sell their games on the app store

G

The reason why the Apple App Store is "better" and works over better devices is because one is a phone, one is the phone without the phone part and 3g and the other is the phone w/o the phone part and the size of a book. There is no variety/competition so... Derp. You make it for the iOS and it'll work on all the devices.... until they make it better and keep some of the previous devices incapable of playing the new games you make for it (i.e. 3gs plays some newer games that the 2nd gen itouch couldn't. And yes i know we're up to 4th gen on stuff, just saying.) now i have an iPad and iTouch 2nd gen and I like them but my Epic 4g is awesome.

I do agree though, there is a LOT of garbage to go through on the Android Market to find anything decent, just like when I had my Palm Pre. Now I'm glad that there is less restrictions on the Market but.... I don't know. It does in a way degrade the quality of apps and ability to find anything decent too. An yes having multiple different hardware configs makes things hard to let it ALL be compatible. I don't know, i think they're just being lazy or something lol.

G

Windows Phone 7 also lacks in non-gaming features, so there's no point gaming if you can't do anything else on the phone.

Also, real-time multi-player games cannot exist on Windows Phone 7, due to its missing features. Games take forever to load, and lack of proper multitasking makes this wait time unbearable (because you can't do anything else). They lose your place when you switch to and from any other app.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
"People cannot have easy access to buy the content," Hirano added. "So once we see a solution with that application, I think all of the platforms have the potential to be successful."

Um I am pretty sure I have easy access to apps on my Android phone. Android market is pretty much the same as iPhones market from what I have seen.

I will chalk it up to lazy devs who got use to only deving for the iPhone.

G

Apple may have uniform updates (iOS 4.1, 4.2, etc) for all their iPhone models but the content and gaming experience that each the model possesses is no more uniform than android based phones (iPhone 3G or earlier lack Game Center, built-in video support- the hardware is capable of doing so, etc). Being an iPhone 3G owner, despite Apple's attempt to keep my iPhone iOS current, my user experience continues to decline. My once blazing fast phone crawls.

Also,
Shinji Hirano discussed Konami's recent shift in strategy aimed to create simple games that can be played on mobile devices and websites for free.

Hmm, is he serious at the end when he says free? Apple and free never go hand in hand. Apple has been battling flash for years so people don't play free games on websites!

The gaming experience maybe more consistent on the iOS platform, but they've only released 4 models and only 2 are even viable for gaming. Gaming enthusiasts want the best of the best, and want to use their electronics to their full potential. New iPhone models come out ever June and are always holding back their software despite the available hardware; new android phones come out every month and continue to offer something new!

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
They don't lack the proper app store models Shinji, you and your devs just CBF'd dealing with fragmentation because it costs you more.

qu3becker

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Gaming on a phone, ha, funny! More like casual, waiting for the bus or at the dentist kind of gaming.
Buy an handheld console system if you want to play real video games.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I don't know how you find apps on iTunes' AppStore, but I typically don't bother searching the Android market for junk. I read reviews, check for new releases, etc from various sources (web sites, rss feeds, etc) to find stuff. If I REALLY have to search for something, I use AppBrain which has tons of search parameters.

But, you know, if all Konami is going to release is new versions of 29+ year old games like Frogger, I really don't care what they have to say.

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Well i have downloaded about 10 free apps, and purchased 5 games on my WP7, The experience was really easy. Not sure what this guy is talking about?!?!

G

Japanese developers are so far behind already it does not matter what they think anymore. Konami stuck in 1998 since 1998.

All Windows Phone needs is a killer game that is also playable against people on a 360. I like the idea of being able to join a CoD multiplayer match as a eye in the sky commander, and be able to point out enemy positions, rain down artillery, and give orders to players on the 360. Allowing you to play with your friends when your away from home, and help out; and also making someone having the phone version a huge bonus to your side.

the_wolf88

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
WTF !

He judged WP7 which even not 1 month old !

At least you wait for a year then we can say if it's good or not for gaming !

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Translation:
"Without the App Store, stupid and lazy consumer sheep won't be able to easily give us their money for our overpriced, superficial casual games!"

Oh Konami, what happened...Android marketplace works perfectly well as it is once you get your apps properly targeted to devices, but how's about releasing a Konami Games app which patches the user into a tightly-controlled demo and purchase area for your games?

Konami Steam for Android, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.