Lan failed?!?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi when i try to boot up my toshiba laptop, i get a boot menu stating that lan has failed. It wont start windows but it gives me the option to enter bios.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how i can fix it?

thanks! :hello:

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hmm the cd/dvd was #1 in the boot sequence. So i switched to hdd/ssd but windows doesnt seem to be booting. WIndows finishes loading, but the screen stays black and doesnt enter windows. What else can i do?

edit: also what is FDD?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
ok so i put the hdd/ssd first in the boot sequence and im getting the "boot menu" like i did when the cd/dvd was first in the boot sequence. When i click on hdd/ssd, it says failed. The windows load screen doesnt even show up anymore. did i do something wrong? The only thing i touched in bios was the boot order.

edit: when i boot up, and a bunch of words come up, i caught this for a split second

boot
Cd/DVD: boot failed
hdd/ssd: boot failed
FDD: boot failed

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

what is a hirem boot cd? and whats a smart test?

also, if i enter bios FIRST (even if i dont touch anything) and then exit bios, i get a windows boot screen with 2 options. Repair or start windows normally. Which ever i click, it loads completely and then stays on a black screen.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

drive S.M.A>R>T> just a standard fitness test that vendor put on hard drive bios. a lot of free hard drive tools will read the smart info. a good drive will be green. a yellow or red one...needs to be replaced. also vendors like wd and seagate put out there own drive fitness tools.