Laptop automatically hibernates w/ext monitor

LordLaw

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
my laptop automatically hibernates when i am in the middle of a job. I have changed the power settings to never, but still having the same problem. What do I do? Could it be a malware, spyware or virus?

I do not find Hibernation to be useful to me so I disabled it.

If you do not use that feature at all, then this would likely resolve your issue. Click the link below which will direct you to Microsoft's support page. Scroll down until you see the two "Fix it for me" buttons. Click the one to disable hibernation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

This should also free up some space on your C: Drive. I forgot the exact size of the hidden hibernation file, but I think it was 2GB or 3GB. Regardless, the added benefit will be a little more storage space.

It's always good to scan for malware or viruses. However, I think this just might be the case of some odd driver issue. If you do not have an anti-virus program, then download Avast! Free. It is pretty good and I have been using it on my PCs and laptop (a total of 3 systems) for the last 4 years. I think I only had 2 or 3 virus during that time period on all systems combined.

Another good program to use is Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. There is a free version (which I use) and a paid version. The free version has limited capabilities like you need to start a scan manually and you must also update manually as well. But it is free and it is good.