Laptop Batteries, non-removable or removable and removing it when plugged in?

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
Is it really the battery's fault if it degrades over time even if it's a non-removable battery? or do manufacturers add some technology to prevent this 'plugged in and full' overcharging factor of laptop batteries?

I want to know if it's actually safer to get a removable battery and removing it when plugged in and full, does it actually protect the battery over the long run? or going for a laptop with a non-removable battery is fine and would perform the same?

Solution
Its a feature of lithium batteries, they have a finite number of cycles and they don't like being left at 100% charge for long periods. My last Sony had a battery care feature for users who used the laptop mainly plugged into the mains. This feature means you could choose to only charge the battery to 60% or 80%.

sizzling

Distinguished
Its a feature of lithium batteries, they have a finite number of cycles and they don't like being left at 100% charge for long periods. My last Sony had a battery care feature for users who used the laptop mainly plugged into the mains. This feature means you could choose to only charge the battery to 60% or 80%.

Solution

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

Didn't know that. Does it also apply to Lithium Polymer batteries?

D'you think today's laptops have what your Sony's had? Maybe some 3rd party software I could use to prevent from charging when at 80%?
So I could freely choose a laptop with a non-removable battery without worries of fully charging it in prolonged hours.