Laptop Batteries - Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422

ihameed46

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Are laptop batteries susceptible to sharp knocks. I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422 that took a very sharp knock on its right side. The battery went dead after that as did the HDD. I got a new HDD but I have not been able to resuscitate the battery, which was a 6 month old replacement that was giving me 2 hrs 34 mins between charges on a 4400mAh capacity battery. I have gone through two similar 4400mAh replacement batteries but both are charging to 100% but giving me only 1 hr 8 mins. One faulty replacement battery I could understand but two???

Could the knock have wrong footed the charging circuitry or the detection circuitry that detects when the battery is 100% charged? Is this detection circuitry found in the laptop or battery? I am wondering whether the fault does not lie in the new battery but rather the charging circuit in the laptop?

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Laptop batteries are supposed to go through a charge/discharge cycle. If you are using the laptop with AC adapter plugged in all the time, it is charging the battery all the time. This will shorten the battery life. If this is your case, remove the battery and put is some place that is dry.

ihameed46

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

I understand your point but if a new battery only gives half of what it should be delivering then is it the battery or the charging circuitry, given that it is happening with two new batteries? What you are saying should show itself after some time, not in the beginning. Am I reading you correctly?