Laptop battery discharges when plugged in. Laptop dies when unplugged

tob_ewalker

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Hello all, me again
Got an HP laptop in with me at the moment. When it's plugged in, there's no problem at all. Light comes on (orange to indicate charging), laptop can be powered on and runs OK. However, over the battery indicator, it says "not charging" and the battery percentage slowly decreases.

If you unplug the laptop, it just dies, so it won't run on the battery at all. Does this sound like a simple battery fault, or could it be issues with the motherboard or daughterboard?

Thank you

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Most likely a dead battery. Could theoretically also be a fault somewhere in the charging mechanism, but it's unlikely and it's much cheaper & easier to try out a new battery.

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Most likely a dead battery. Could theoretically also be a fault somewhere in the charging mechanism, but it's unlikely and it's much cheaper & easier to try out a new battery.

tob_ewalker

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Yep, 99% sure it's the battery. Didn't realise but HP have a built in battery diagnostic, so I ran that and it failed.
Many thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop Tech Support 1
suhaib.ajaz03 Laptop Tech Support 0
aecanive Laptop Tech Support 0
D Laptop Tech Support 4
Epic Creeper Laptop Tech Support 1
Michael@Jensen@WK Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
V Laptop Tech Support 2
memo1402 Laptop Tech Support 0
C Laptop Tech Support 1