Solved! Laptop battery indicator is always ON (plugged or unplugged)

Nov 24, 2020
Hi, my experience with this midranger from Asus was horrible!

Asus K556U (X556) laptop battery LED indicator is always ON plugged or unplugged.

Windows:

When I turn it on (plugged or unplugged), battery icons on Task bar animates and shows “plugged in”.
When charging, it does charge but the percentage is stuck on the initial reading.
When it’s draining, percentage drops, and still says “plugged in”.
When Restart, it goes to a sleep/hibernate that doesn’t wake by pressing Enter but with power button. Updated BIOS, now it restarts normally.

Disassembly:

Removed under the cover battery, LED goes off. Reinstall battery, LED turns ON.
Cutting the blue ribbons connecting battery to the little board linked to LEDs does the same.

BIOS:

Drained battery in BIOS, LED doesn’t go off.
BIOS updated.

Changes:

I completely dissembled it six months ago to replace the keyboard (following a tutorial! I’m not expert in that area), and it was fine until few days ago when I cleaned it (with a wet towel) and relocate it to another room (because it’s been used as a fixed PC). (HDD replaced twice and a third time to SSD because it’s unprotected and in a weak spot).
I noticed the battery became a bit weaker in the past week.

Solution
A wet towel! Not a good idea. How wet? Laptops are not waterproof--you may have damaged something. A better way to clean is to spray a little eye glass cleaner on a clean cloth and wipe it down that way.

Explain what you mean by "draining the battery" in the BIOS. If there is a battery and you removed it, the BIOS setting may be gone and will resort to the defaults. That may or may not be OK. But it shouldn't cause your issues. If you open the machine, I trust you follow good anti-static proceedures. Otherwise you can damage the electronics.
A wet towel! Not a good idea. How wet? Laptops are not waterproof--you may have damaged something. A better way to clean is to spray a little eye glass cleaner on a clean cloth and wipe it down that way.

Explain what you mean by "draining the battery" in the BIOS. If there is a battery and you removed it, the BIOS setting may be gone and will resort to the defaults. That may or may not be OK. But it shouldn't cause your issues. If you open the machine, I trust you follow good anti-static proceedures. Otherwise you can damage the electronics.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 24, 2020
Case closed. Water issue.

A wet towel! Not a good idea. How wet?
You're right. Apparently a little too wet and it leaked to the power button and the charging port. So it was reading 'charging' all the time. That lasted for a full day and it's fine now.

Explain what you mean by "draining the battery" in the BIOS. If there is a battery and you removed it, the BIOS setting may be gone and will resort to the defaults.
I meant I made sure the main battery (not the BIOS battery) is drained to 0 in BIOS (like in calibrating battery) to troubleshoot the issue.