Solved! Laptop battery issues on high temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2020
I have a 2 yr old Acer Predator Helios 300, since last month I started facing a weird issue with the laptop battery. If I pull the power cord while I'm gaming, the laptop trips immediately and then refuses to boot up on battery.

After many trials, I realized that this only happens when my laptop CPU/GPU temperature is >60°C. If my laptop is below that temperature then the battery works fine, it boots up on battery and comes on load when I pull the power cord. The battery is charging normally and gives ~2 hours of backup time watching Netflix on wifi provided the temperature stays low. I have to keep the cooling pad running at all times. It used to give more than 3 hours of backup a few months ago.

Can I be possible that the battery is damaged because of excess heat? My laptop used to run at temperatures excess of 90°C while gaming. After this issue started, I opened up the laptop and cleaned the vents and that brought down the gaming temperatures to 70-80°C but the battery issue still persists.

I didn't notice any bulges or external defects on the battery when I inspected it. Acer Care Centre that came pre-installed with the laptop tells me that the battery health status is good. I have no issues with replacing the battery, I just wanted to confirm that the battery is at fault before I buy a new one.

Last edited:
Solution
I can only speak to how a properly designed power supply should work. The Acer designers could have taken shortcuts. If the battery was unable to supply enough power for the GPU, the power supply should respond by resetting or shutting down the computer. This in turn could only happen if the battery was defective (again assuming good design). Typically, when external power is plugged in, the supply would seemlessly start using external power to run the machine and also route some power to the charging circuitry. This assumes the external supply can supply adequate power to do both. This should be the case unless you are using a non-original replacement supply. But back to your original question. I would be suspicious that the battery...
Lithium batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles (several hundred generally) and will slowly degrade. Heat is a major enemy in this regard. I would advise you to minimize the cycles by keeping the machine plugged in as much as practical. Some of the newer machines have an option to limit the charge to a lower max value. If the battery pack is removable, consider pulling it while gaming. Can you tell if the battery gets hot during gaming?

I own an all electric car which is 8 years old and still has 80% battery life. I've done a good bit of research as to how to maximize battery life (replacements are $6000). Mainly, I keep an eye on battery temp (only an issue on very hot days) and almost never do a full charge as the car offers as option to charge to 80%. Those batteries have a thousand+ cycles and still do OK.

Sep 8, 2020
Lithium batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles (several hundred generally) and will slowly degrade. Heat is a major enemy in this regard. I would advise you to minimize the cycles by keeping the machine plugged in as much as practical. Some of the newer machines have an option to limit the charge to a lower max value. If the battery pack is removable, consider pulling it while gaming. Can you tell if the battery gets hot during gaming?

I own an all electric car which is 8 years old and still has 80% battery life. I've done a good bit of research as to how to maximize battery life (replacements are $6000). Mainly, I keep an eye on battery temp (only an issue on very hot days) and almost never do a full charge as the car offers as option to charge to 80%. Those batteries have a thousand+ cycles and still do OK.
The only issue that I have is that the laptop battery seems to be giving a decent battery backup as long as the temperatures stay low (i.e. no gaming on battery) and the Acer Care Centre that came pre-installed with the laptop shows Battery status as healthy. I get 3 hours of casual web browsing on wifi.

Could it be a problem with the power? Maybe the battery is not able to provide enough power for the GPU and I'm mistaking it for the temperature? Or is there any switching mechanism on the motherboard that switches between AC and DC power that can be faulty?

I can only speak to how a properly designed power supply should work. The Acer designers could have taken shortcuts. If the battery was unable to supply enough power for the GPU, the power supply should respond by resetting or shutting down the computer. This in turn could only happen if the battery was defective (again assuming good design). Typically, when external power is plugged in, the supply would seemlessly start using external power to run the machine and also route some power to the charging circuitry. This assumes the external supply can supply adequate power to do both. This should be the case unless you are using a non-original replacement supply. But back to your original question. I would be suspicious that the battery is too hot. Look at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1002007118307536. These folks say 60C is the practical upper limit for lithium batteries. There may be a battery temp sensor in your battery pack but I can't tell you how to access it if there is. 60C is uncomfortably warm to the touch.

Reactions: Louis72
Solution
Sep 19, 2020
I have a 2 yr old Acer Predator Helios 300, since last month I started facing a weird issue with the laptop battery. If I pull the power cord while I'm gaming, the laptop trips immediately and then refuses to boot up on battery.

After many trials, I realized that this only happens when my laptop CPU/GPU temperature is >60°C. If my laptop is below that temperature then the battery works fine, it boots up on battery and comes on load when I pull the power cord. The battery is charging normally and gives ~2 hours of backup time watching Netflix on wifi provided the temperature stays low. I have to keep the cooling pad running at all times. It used to give more than 3 hours of backup a few months ago.

Can I be possible that the battery is damaged because of excess heat? My laptop used to run at temperatures excess of 90°C while gaming. After this issue started, I opened up the laptop and cleaned the vents and that brought down the gaming temperatures to 70-80°C but the battery issue still persists.

I didn't notice any bulges or external defects on the battery when I inspected it. Acer Care Centre that came pre-installed with the laptop tells me that the battery health status is good. I have no issues with replacing the battery, I just wanted to confirm that the battery is at fault before I buy a new one.

Windows 10? Try trouble shooting in control panel . Ask Micosoft for help

Status
Not open for further replies.