Laptop Battery Query

abosambool

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
My new laptop is on the way

It's a Desktop Replacement Laptop

It will mostly be sitting on the desk constantly connected to the charger

My questions is:

Does constant charging, even when the battery is full, harm the battery/laptop? Does it cause it to overheat? And lastly, does it shorten the the battery/laptop lifespan?

Thanks

Solution
Constant charging can ultimately kill battery life. This is the reason why some laptops will only charge the battery up to 80% unless you override the power options to do a 100% charge up.

Whether or not that will actually prevent "battery kill" is unknown to me. If the battery is going to be plugged in most of the time then I would simply remove the battery once it is 100% charged. That is what I currently do. If I know I will need to bring my laptop with me then I simply install the battery to bring the charge back up to 100% since batteries discharge themselves slowly over time.

abosambool

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

Is there any harm in leaving the battery?

Constant charging can ultimately kill battery life. This is the reason why some laptops will only charge the battery up to 80% unless you override the power options to do a 100% charge up.

Whether or not that will actually prevent "battery kill" is unknown to me. If the battery is going to be plugged in most of the time then I would simply remove the battery once it is 100% charged. That is what I currently do. If I know I will need to bring my laptop with me then I simply install the battery to bring the charge back up to 100% since batteries discharge themselves slowly over time.

Solution

nukemaster

Distinguished
If you could overcharge a Li-ion battery like those found in most laptops, it would rupture(safety valve to let out pressure to prevent explosions). So the charger HAS to be smart and stop.

You have nothing to worry about.

The 80%(or 30-50%) idea is supposed to allow the battery to last longer in cases when you leave it plugged in all year around. They say leaving it full charge is bad for its overall health, but I have had no problems with it.