Laptop blackscreen, no BIOS screen

joe5joe7

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
I have an 5749 that I haven't used in a while, and was dismayed to find that when I boot it nothing comes up on the screen. The power light is blue.

I tried removing the hard drive and the ram, and flashing the BIOS by removing the CMOS and replacing it. I thought it may have been the screen not working, however I tried plugging in a second screen but nothing came up on it either.

I'm thinking that the motherboard may be fried, but the blue light seems to be the only light on the motherboard and gives no indication anything is wrong, any tips on where to go next?

Solution
Exactly the place what i meant, I was talking about that cable with the yellow/orange highlight thing on it. If you are sure it is good in the slot than check the other end of the cable on your motherboard if it also is in correctly.

I have found this online, you might want to try
1. Software
- Try Fn + F5 or something like that

2. Electrical
- Remove battery, unplug power, hold power button for 60 seconds, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart

3. Magnetic On/Off Switch to detect of Close/Open Lid
- Your magnet switch is fubar some how. Open up the speaker cover and see if your lid actuator switch that come in contact with the magnet on your lid cover is stuck or not (find where the magnet...

joe5joe7

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
I didn't see any loose cables when I opened it up, and plugging in a second screen didn't show anything on that screen either. Is the cable from the screen to the laptop easy to miss?

Sandstorm3000

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014

Not really, and it should be normal that your second screen won't light up because your laptop is trying to use the primary screen to log in. If you are logged in and set it up correctly than it will light up. http://www.laptoplcdcable.com/images/cabledv5200.jpg

It will look something like this one part goes into the screen and one part into the laptops motherboard. But you will have to open the cover thats around the screen. Than you have the take out the screen itself because the cable is located on the back of the screen.

Sandstorm3000

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
Exactly the place what i meant, I was talking about that cable with the yellow/orange highlight thing on it. If you are sure it is good in the slot than check the other end of the cable on your motherboard if it also is in correctly.

I have found this online, you might want to try
1. Software
- Try Fn + F5 or something like that

2. Electrical
- Remove battery, unplug power, hold power button for 60 seconds, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart

3. Magnetic On/Off Switch to detect of Close/Open Lid
- Your magnet switch is fubar some how. Open up the speaker cover and see if your lid actuator switch that come in contact with the magnet on your lid cover is stuck or not (find where the magnet is in the back of the front lid cover, trace where the magnet area actually touches the base of the computer and you will find the switch)
- Workaround, start windows with lid at 30 degree angle

4. Hardware
- You need to replace either Inverter, Blacklight, or everything. =)

Or maybe this https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03518165&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Solution