Laptop Boot Corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

brwoodruff1

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
My Lenovo Y70 crashed the other day while Windows 10 was pushing down some updates. I have been unable to get anything to work. I continue to get the "your PC couldn't start after multiple attempts - error 0xc0000001" and also the "Your PC needs to be repairs - file: \BCD Error: 0xc0000098". I'd read all the forums. I cannot get to a cmd prompt at all. Safe mode and other options just result in a reboot to the above screens. I have created a recovery drive and still get the same screens. It appears to me that the boot files are corrupted but I cannot get to anything..other than the BIOS.

Well since you have win10 on the USB, just do the full win10 install.

May be prudent to recover the files you want to keep off the drive, plenty of ways to do this (I personally use Ubuntu in live mode). It is also possible the hard drive is failing, and that is causing the error - and again you can use ubuntu in live mode to install smartmontools to check the drive health status at the very least.

brwoodruff1

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Maybe your not understanding. If I have Window 10 on a USB but when I start the computer, it reads the usb and just goes to the Error screen. How do you expect me to do a reinstall?

I've already been to NeoSmart and paid $40 (like you suggested) to run their recovery program. I ran their software, it says it repaired it and for me to reboot.

The result....now, no matter what I do, when I restart the machine (with or without USB) it only says Lenovo for a second and then goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor - nothing more. I got nothing. :(

Ah I had forgotten that utility was a paid-for product, and it was the #1 solution they mentioned - that was my mistake, apologies about that. #2 and 3 solutions use the Windows 10 installer at no cost. The Ubuntu in live mode should also work to get an OS up and running, and should be able to do the basic hard drive tests and see if it is having problems.

brwoodruff1

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Well I didn't mind paying for it as it seemed like a nice utility to have. However, it has taken me from an error screen to NO SCREEN. lol. The only thing that gives me hope is that the Lenovo logo appears for a quick 3 seconds. Obviously its trying to do something initially. However, the NeoSmart fix seems to have screwed the boot files up even worse. Now I'm just sitting around waiting for NeoSmart to response to my support request.

Thanks anyway. I know you are just trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS