Laptop BSOD Issue

JoshS22

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I have a HP Envy 15t. Just got a BSOD when I tried to boot up my laptop today with the following message: "Your PC needs to be repaired. The operating system couldnt be located because the kernel is missing or contains errors. File:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Error code: 0x0000185. I get the same message when I try booting into safe mode as well. I tried a system quick test and it failed. The results were: Hard Drive Short DST Check: failed. Failure ID: PSGF7K-77P8G9-MFPV7F-60QQ03. I have a windows 8.1 disk that I use for my desktop, should I use it to try and repair my laptop? I don't know how to go on from here. I have a lot of files on my laptop that i'd rather not lose. If I have to replace the HDD, thats honestly fine with me, but is there any way I can extract the files on my laptop?

Solution
Get a Linux Live boot disk, boot the system using that, copy the files from the hard drive to an external drive. You can also remove your drive and use an external enclosure to copy the data out. That is if the drive is still in usable shape. This is why you need to do backups before issues start, not after. Closing barn door once the horses are out and all that.

Get a new hard drive, re-install Windows on that. The Windows disk you have for the desktop may not work for the laptop, you can still download Windows 8 media from Microsoft though.
Get a Linux Live boot disk, boot the system using that, copy the files from the hard drive to an external drive. You can also remove your drive and use an external enclosure to copy the data out. That is if the drive is still in usable shape. This is why you need to do backups before issues start, not after. Closing barn door once the horses are out and all that.

Get a new hard drive, re-install Windows on that. The Windows disk you have for the desktop may not work for the laptop, you can still download Windows 8 media from Microsoft though.

Solution