Laptop build for Autodesk Inventor/Solidworks

Jarna

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Im looking to buy a laptop, build to run either Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks (most probably the latest version) The laptop is for work purpose only, and I dont mean to use it to render high quality pictures of the constructions. So I called our local supplier and he recommended this setup:

ASUS G771JM-T7019H

Core i7 4710HQ

17.3" FHD Matt

12GB ram (16Gb hvis der er plads)

256GB SSD

Windows 8.1

GTX 860M 2GB

4xUSB 3.0

802.11AC WiDi

He also recommended a docking station:

ASUS USB 3.0 HZ-2 DOCKING STATION

1 x netværk - 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45

2 x USB 2.0 - 4-PIN USB type A

1 x SuperSpeed USB 3.0 - 9 pin USB Type B

1 x skærm/video - VGA - 15-pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)

1 x lyd - udgang - 3,5 mm mini jack

1 x mikrofon - indgang - 3,5 mm mini jack

2 x SuperSpeed USB 3.0 - 9 pin USB Type A

1 x audio / video - HDMI - 19-pin HDMI type A

My question: Is the laptop build good enough to run either of the two programs, and should I include the docking station in case I got an extra screen, or is it an overkill to include the docking station.
I find it kind of hard to find through the jungle of specs needed to run everything, and find the best solution, so any valid answer is strongly appreciated.

Im sorry most of the hardware is on danish, but I will translate it in case the names of the items isn't enough.

Jonathan S.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
if it is purely for work purpose only and no gaming at all, he ripped you off or at least that what it looks like. For Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks, the kind of ASUS A451LN or older A46CB is enough, provided the gpu got 2GB of VRAM you can render nicely and all. I even tried with an old Dell laptop equipped with a mere GT630M 2GB and Inventor 2013 running just fine. I use it to render a Nissan GT-R.
Unless you plan to do some gaming, that laptop is overkill and if you really want to take that laptop, I suggest find a 4GB VRAM option (like Lenovo Y50-70 with GTX860M 4GB or similarly spec ACER V nitro). But then again when you said you wouldn't want to render high quality pictures for construction, surely once again, that laptop is overkill.