Laptop button does not work after overnight disconnection

Feb 11, 2018
Cannot start up laptop after overnight disconnection. If I leave computer shut down on AC power overnight, laptop starts up fine. Have tried all methods e.g.removal of battery and button pressed down for 30 seconds etc. but still nothing happens. However, LED lights show but if button is depressed, one of the LED lights goes out! If I leave the computer on AC power for say 20 minutes, the laptop button does work but I think the problem may get worse over time.

Did you try a different charger? So even without the battery it does not start? Try removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard, disconnect all other power, then hold in the power button for 30 seconds. Without the CMOS battery in, plug in wall power and see if it turns on OK. If it does, put it all back to normal and see if it works. If not, you are probably looking at a bad motherboard.

Feb 11, 2018
Thanks for your input. My current solution is to shut down computer overnight but leave it plugged in to mains power. It works fine when I start up in the morning. I think I'll have to take a trip down to a repair shop as messing around inside the back of the computer is beyond me! Thanks anyhow.

Best wishes,

Terrence.