Laptop cannot sleep properly

Nicholas_73

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Hi all. I recently had my laptop hard drive fail on me, so I did a replacement to push as much life out of this laptop as possible, and put in an SSD.

After getting Windows 10 on it, I thought everything would return to normal, but putting the laptop to sleep doesn't work in the same way. For starters, my laptop did have a problem every so often where if you put it to sleep, it would do its preparation, but the hardware would not enter a low power state. Although I haven't seen that yet, it is quite the opposite now. The laptop will enter a low power state (indicated by the flashing power light), but on waking, it seems to be doing a full boot, or some sort of hybrid boot, where all the applications I had open, are now closed.

I have an Asus X550LC and the solid state drive is Kingston. Not sure if any more information would be required.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Solution
That is extremely odd then as I would think the issue is involving power saving options. You may want to make sure hibred sleep is set to on.

A few other things to try. Check your drivers and make sure the are all up to date. I would also suggest checking for updates to the BIOS for it on the manufacturers website, but since I could not find the device mentioned anywhere (even under support) I am not sure you will be able to locate any updates. Note, if you do any updates of any drivers, be sure you reboot after.
Have you gone into "Control Panel" and "Power Option" and looked through the details for the device?

You would need to then click on "Change plan settings" and next click on "Change advanced plan settings". In that new window, you would then check each item to see what is and isn't set correctly as you want it.

Nicholas_73

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

I have done that and it doesn't seem to be anything power related. Especially because it is sleeping, but it seems like the information required to do a reboot where all my apps are still open, is not happening.

Nicholas_73

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Unfortunately not :( If it was hibernate the apps would all still be open. Time isn't an issue for me and if I could even replace the sleep function with hibernation, I probably would at this stage, even though it would unnecessarily write to the SSD, shortening its life span.

That is extremely odd then as I would think the issue is involving power saving options. You may want to make sure hibred sleep is set to on.

A few other things to try. Check your drivers and make sure the are all up to date. I would also suggest checking for updates to the BIOS for it on the manufacturers website, but since I could not find the device mentioned anywhere (even under support) I am not sure you will be able to locate any updates. Note, if you do any updates of any drivers, be sure you reboot after.

Solution