Laptop Can't Detect WIFI After Starting

Br00ke

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Sometimes when I start (or restart for unrelated reason like updates) my computer, it won't connect to the internet or even detect any networks. When this happens, if I restart my computer it's fixed and connects to the internet automatically. Why does this happen in the first place and how do I fix it? I shouldn't have to keep restarting my computer to detect a network. I rarely restart my computer, but this doesn't happen every time. Only sometimes. I've seen similar problems asked, but nothing exactly like mine. Also, my laptop is just over a year old and it's a Toshiba Satellite.Not sure if this matters.

Solution
sometimes you can turn your wifi adapter off and on to re-initialize it.

@echo off
@ipconfig /release
@ipconfig /renew

copy the above to notepad and save it to your desktop. I call it "ip reset.bat".
make sure that when you save it that you specify "all files" in the save as type
window or it will save it as .bat.txt. it must be .bat. of course, you could type
the same lines into the cmd window, but it is much easier to double-click.

Br00ke

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017

It's a Toshiba Satellite C55D-C and I have Windows 10. As for the warranty, it expired a few months ago. Of course. Thanks for your help!

(I responded a few days ago but I didn't hit "reply to this message" so you probably didn't see my response. I'm new here. Sorry about that.)

mauxie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
sometimes you can turn your wifi adapter off and on to re-initialize it.

@echo off
@ipconfig /release
@ipconfig /renew

copy the above to notepad and save it to your desktop. I call it "ip reset.bat".
make sure that when you save it that you specify "all files" in the save as type
window or it will save it as .bat.txt. it must be .bat. of course, you could type
the same lines into the cmd window, but it is much easier to double-click.

Solution