Solved! Laptop charger overheating

sirch120

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
Hi,

Recently my laptop charger broke and only intermittently charged my laptop. Since the hardware is 5 years old at this point, I bought a new charger from Samsung which works great but gets much hotter than my previous one (I've double checked and it's the same voltage etc. and compatible with my laptop).

Last night the brick was very hot, couldn't handle it for more than a few seconds without putting it down.

Now I'm wondering if the battery is to blame which is just as old. The charger that died was also getting very hot but towards the actual tip/port rather than the brick.

My question is can an old battery cause overheating like this? It still holds a charge but only for about an hour or two.

Thanks

Solution
It very well could be the battery that is part of the cause. And if it is only holding charge that long, it needs to be replaced. I would, however, once it is replaced make sure the charger is cooler then. If it hasn't cooled, you may also have a defective charger.
It very well could be the battery that is part of the cause. And if it is only holding charge that long, it needs to be replaced. I would, however, once it is replaced make sure the charger is cooler then. If it hasn't cooled, you may also have a defective charger.

Solution