Laptop Charging Questions

TimiTheGreatful

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
Hello I've been hearing a lot of rumors around the internet about laptop batteries. I have a Lenovo y50 that I use for moderate gaming. Whenever its unplugged I get very low fps. For example I get 30 fps in minecraft while I usually get 200 - 300 fps.I always keep my charger plugged in because of this. I heard that doing this will cause the battery life to become worse.Does keeping it plugged in even when my battery is 100% be bad for my battery? Also is there anything I can do about the fps problem?

Solution
See if there are settings related to graphics performance. A program like MSI's Afterburner may be able to tell you what the GPU clocks are, but may not be able to change them.

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished
The Windows power settings is probably set to power saving when the computer is on battery, thereby throttling performance when it's unplugged.

If you're using Windows 7 just search for battery settings in the search and you'll find a menu where you can change the power settings for when it's on battery and when it's plugged into the wall.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The charger should drop back to a maintenance trickle, if that, once the battery is charged. Make sure the battery is not hot.
As to the performance, check your power settings. It is probably set to lower performance when running on battery. You can change this, although you may drastically shorten battery life.

TimiTheGreatful

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
I changed it to max performance. I see no change in frame rate. All I notice is that the brightness and sleep time is higher. The frame rate is locked at 30fps. I tried using max to lowest settings and everything is at 30fps compared to the 200 fps I usually get.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
See if there are settings related to graphics performance. A program like MSI's Afterburner may be able to tell you what the GPU clocks are, but may not be able to change them.

Solution