Laptop cmos replacement

Sillycat41

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Toshiba Satellite L505D laptop suddenly won't boot. No lights come on. Read that it could be the cmos battery died. Does this sound correct?

Laptops should still show some signs of life, even if a CMOS battery has died.... I would expect.

It's possible - but typically, on laptops, the CMOS battery is not a standard CR2032 that are typically found in desktops (and are user serviceable).

They can even be soldered to the board, making a replacement difficult (although not impossible).

Actually: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L505-L505D/remove-laptop-motherboard-1.htm

Given that's a near 10 year old laptop with a Dual Core Athlon, it's probably not economically viable to repair it.

Sillycat41

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Found info that indicates the CMOS battery is probably soldered to the board in this model. I am capable of replacing it, however I don't want to waste the time taking the laptop apart to do that only to find out that a new a new CMOS battery won't fix the problem. What else could cause it to suddenly not boot up? Motherboard failure?
Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
plouat Laptop Tech Support 0
N Laptop Tech Support 0
smartchin77 Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 1
Pharoah742000 Laptop Tech Support 0
F Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 0
vakhoako Laptop Tech Support 0
J Laptop Tech Support 0
ShovelSaint Laptop Tech Support 1