Tom Merrilin

Estimable
May 17, 2015
I am currently looking for a new laptop and im exclusively looking for it from a new york based micro center because i have a protection plan and my old laptop is gone.

I had a lenovo y510p with dual nvidia geforce 755m sli. Which i was very happy with.

I would like the price range to not exceed 1200, unless the performance jump is decent.

I would like to have the 16gb of ram i see in some of the more affordable options. Ive seen a few bad reviews for the 970m for some reason and it made me unsure. normally i would have gone for the lenovo y50 as a suitable option but they only have the 860m available and from the reviews of the 860m and the 4k screen the scaling is almost unusable for certain games and applications. And on top of that the touch screen option has also been said to simply not be something not desirable in a gaming system, sort of gimmicky.

One option i found sort of caught me off guard:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/443099/Aspire_V15_Nitro_Black_Edition_VN7-591G-79YZ_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Considering that its the only one ive found with that gpu with that amount of ram, Every other model of that system has different specs so i thought maybe it was a mistake. I like Acer that was the brand of laptop i had prior to this most recent one, and it lasted me years. My only problem is that they tend to run really hot and i feel as though that would cause its lifespan to be diminished.

Im not sure if this is the proper place to post this thread. I joined this forum just to get input on this issue.

Any advice would be appreciated, and any further info needed can be provided.

thank you

Tom Merrilin

Estimable
May 17, 2015
Ive been getting back into gaming and i started playing elder scroll online and im looking into GTA V as well as the witcher 3. I usually will max out the settings as much as possible but its not imperative that i get ultra or high settings. I have since considered getting this laptop instead.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/439913/ROG_G751JT-CH71_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Simply because it runs cooler and has better performance and has the ability to upgrade the ram. The price point is affordable and im willing to hold out a bit longer to grab a better laptop. i simply want something that will last and thats reliable.

I am simply trying to balance out affordability and longevity of the system. the increase from the 960m to the 970m seemed substantial. and the cooling is a big issue for me i feel if i spend a lot of time gaming that if the laptop runs hot that it reflects on the longevity of the laptop poorly however i may be wrong.

that is where im at currently =) what do you think so far?

Tom Merrilin

Estimable
May 17, 2015
I just wish could find a better deal on it in this area i know the price is normal for a system of this class but i was hoping to atleast pay 200 less. And the other laptops with the gtx 960m, and 965m seem a decent amount less powerful. Its easy to upgrade the other aspects of the system but your kind of stuck with a gpu. I just want something that will last me more than a year.

Tom Merrilin

Estimable
May 17, 2015
http://www.microcenter.com/product/440672/GT70_2QD_Dominator-2293_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Aluminum_Black

I think ultimately this is the one i will be going with. I have read some pretty bad reviews of the asus, despite the shinning reviews a majority of people have given it. But the bad reviews are pretty serious and arent just people upset about random superficial things. More or less issues with the network card, spiking, system not booting properly, issues with the screen, and terrible customer service. Normally the fact that the good reviews detail excellent selling points of the laptop namely the cooling system for the impressive graphics card would be enough. However in this situation i feel like the system may be good but it just doesnt seem like the right fit.

The MSI however is has a very similar load out, but upgrading it is a bit simpler the customer service seems better for the system, and the cooling however not as good as the asus is sufficient. The fact that the asus does not have a removable battery is strange to me, and makes me feel very uncomfortable.

The reviews of the MSI are fewer in number but the majority are positive. On top of that the forums state that the cpu and gpu hve the potential to be upgraded, even though that is probably extremely costly the ability to find a better video card in 2 or 3 years and drop it in is nice same as the cpu.

Any further insight into this comparison would be appreciated.

The msi that you have linked is a good laptop for gaming and I have heard good reviews about it. But they do tend to be more louder than the asus. If you can deal with the sound then the msi is a very good laptop.

Tom Merrilin

Estimable
May 17, 2015
Bought and paid for. I picked up the msi today and i can tell you it is a very impressive machine. I also picked up some cheap ram so its matching the 16gb the asus came with and i also picked up a solid state drive that was on sale. My only issue now is installing the SSD its new ground for me. I plan on keeping the original drive in a box as a back up in case anything happens. When trying to clone the drive there are a lot of other partitions that pop up than im unfamiliar with, i read most of them are for restoring the system and handling backups so im just trying to copy the os to the SSD and not the other partitions so i have more space.

Conclusion i think im going to preform this system over the asus the cooling, and sound wont bother me.

Also bonus note msi was running a promotional that if you bought any of their systems with a gtx 970 in it you got a downloadable copy of the witcher 3 which is awesome. I checked the "canirunit" site and it said my CPU isnt powerful enough for the minimum. Any input on that?

I would say don't trust can you run it or any sites like that. I would look at the specs of the laptop and then take the cpu and gpu and compare it with the recommended settings. If it meets those then it will run well.