Laptop connected to monitor (with HDMI) cannot use headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishikap30

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
I connected my Laptop to my Monitor to have a bigger visual. I want to use headphones to game, but whenever I plug them into my laptop the sound never comes through. The sound comes through my monitors speakers. Any solutions?

Solution
What make and monitor do you have?

What ports are available on the monitor? E.g., a headphone port? Did you use the monitor's configuration menus to enable any audio ports.

On your laptop, right click the small speaker icon and go into Playback devices.

Check all of the windows, tabs, and property settings.

Could be that all you need to do is change the default Playback device from TV to an audio port on your laptop.
What make and monitor do you have?

What ports are available on the monitor? E.g., a headphone port? Did you use the monitor's configuration menus to enable any audio ports.

On your laptop, right click the small speaker icon and go into Playback devices.

Check all of the windows, tabs, and property settings.

Could be that all you need to do is change the default Playback device from TV to an audio port on your laptop.

Solution

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Yea when you plug in HDMI it defaults to that. Right click the Sound icon next to clock and go to play back devices. Click on Speakers or headphones (if you click speakers and you plugin headset they usually switch to headphones and then back if you unplug them) and then click Set at Default.

Status
Not open for further replies.