Solved! Laptop crashes when launching games

Apr 18, 2020
My Huawei Matebook 14 has been experiencing some crashes when launching games. The laptop is almost 1 year old. So far it’s really fast and all functions are amazing. However, I tried to launch games such as elder scrolls online and guild wars 2 but the laptop shuts off entirely after a few seconds into the game. I’ve never experienced crashes aside from trying to launch these two games and the computer is not hot during the crashes. The other only game I play here is Terraria but it’s definitely not merely as demanding. Here’s some info about my laptop:

Windows 10 family version
Intel Core i5 8265U CPU @1.60GHz 1.80GHz
8.00GB RAM
DirectX 12
NVIDIA GeForce MX 250

I checked the benchmark requirements for both games and my laptop passes both. The laptop doesn’t have any other problems I know of; I use it to launch Terraria and watch videos on the daily and it seems to manage just fine. I’m suspecting that this is a hardware/overheating? problem but I can’t tell for sure:( Please let me know your insights anything is appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi - you could have heat issues, or it could also be your RAM... typically a drive problem would not shut down the machine.

I would download coretemp and check your CPU temps first...then 2nd I would download memtest and check your RAM.

R

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi - you could have heat issues, or it could also be your RAM... typically a drive problem would not shut down the machine.

I would download coretemp and check your CPU temps first...then 2nd I would download memtest and check your RAM.

R

Solution