Laptop crashing no warning

HMS-ratters

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
My 2 year old laptop has started to crash suddenly. It'll be fine for an hour maybe 2 but then the screen turns off aswell as other peripherals but the fan stays on.

It seems as if it's overheating but I feel that is doubtful as I've made sure the heat sink is immaculately clean, the fan works just fine and I've even tried using the last of my liquid metal on both CPU and GPU, which did drop temps but still the issue persists, can anyone help?

Solution
What laptop do you have? And when you tested the charger and battery by themselves, did it crash the same on both of them?

Since the crashes are happening in startup, I would check your ram sticks individually if you have 2, and make sure they are fitted correctly. Also, boot it into safe mode and see if the crashes happen there.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
I would make sure your battery and charger are good. Try running on each one by themselves. Are you doing the same thing each time it crashes or does it seem random? And what are your temps under load?

HMS-ratters

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Event viewer sounds like a great idea but I'm finding it difficult now to get I to windows unfortunately.

And yes, I've already tried with and without battery and with and with out charger in all combinations. Temps under load hit no higher than 75 under aida64, 60-70 under usual load, though the crashes can and have happened during boot up and just sitting on the desktop

HMS-ratters

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Did manage to get into event viewer, only info it gives me is sudden power loss, not sure how helpful this is but I will do a teardown to confirm all power connections are sound.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
What laptop do you have? And when you tested the charger and battery by themselves, did it crash the same on both of them?

Since the crashes are happening in startup, I would check your ram sticks individually if you have 2, and make sure they are fitted correctly. Also, boot it into safe mode and see if the crashes happen there.

Solution