Solved! Laptop display brightness not adjusting after Windows update

Amod__S

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Hello! I have a Hp pavilion dv6 laptop which I've been running Windows 10 for a long time now. However, today I installed the 2018 April update and i can no longer adjust the display brightness after that. The brightness is "stuck" all the way up. Can anyone please help me with this. Thanks.

Solution
Adaptive brightness is a feature of Windows, and most people find it more annoying than helpful.

The major Win 10 updates act more like full upgrades rather than updates. Some of your installed programs may stop working. Go to your laptop's support website and find drivers for keyboard shortcuts, or on-screen display (OSD), or quicklaunch buttons, or something similar. That driver is needed for the laptop control functions on the top keys (screen brightness, volume, internal/external display, suspend, etc.) to work. It sounds like the update uninstalled yours.

Seyed22Shaheen

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Power Options (Right-Click Battery Icon) ---> Change Plan Settings (For current plan) ---> Change advanced power settings ---> Display ---> Enable adaptive brightness ---> Off for both Plugged-in and Battery

Adaptive brightness is a feature of Windows, and most people find it more annoying than helpful.

The major Win 10 updates act more like full upgrades rather than updates. Some of your installed programs may stop working. Go to your laptop's support website and find drivers for keyboard shortcuts, or on-screen display (OSD), or quicklaunch buttons, or something similar. That driver is needed for the laptop control functions on the top keys (screen brightness, volume, internal/external display, suspend, etc.) to work. It sounds like the update uninstalled yours.

Solution