Laptop display problem

bigmooke

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
I have a older Dell N5050 Inspiron laptop running Windows 10. It was upgraded from Windows 7. Every time windows updates, the laptop screen shows the post process but then Windows will only display on the HDMI port connected to the television. After several hours to a couple of days, the laptop will go back to displaying on the screen and on the television. Sometimes this happens on its own, sometimes I need to reboot it. It is fine again until the next round of updates. I have done a clean install of Windows 10 and the problem has persisted. Any ideas what might be happening?

Solution

You could just unplug the hdmi and update windows and then plug the monitor back in after its done, that might work. I dont know what to say otherwise, sorry.

Halo11702

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
The next time this happens hit the windows key and "p" at the same time to see if it changed your display to only display on one screen. This happened to me with my old Asus laptop. Windows defualts to the second monitor if im not mistaken. When you hit win+p change it to the extended or the duplicate if thats what you want, or does your laptop screen just not function at all?

bigmooke

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Hi Halo11702 --
The screen functions up to the time Windows takes it over. Until it resolves itself it is completely unresponsive in windows. There have been times I have left it displayed on the HDMI port and gone to bed. When I get up the next morning the desktop is displayed on both the laptop and the HDMI port with no intervention from me.

Mike

Halo11702

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

You could just unplug the hdmi and update windows and then plug the monitor back in after its done, that might work. I dont know what to say otherwise, sorry.

Solution