Laptop display,Top items flashing at the bottom

Okaytrythis

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

The problem exists in the screen to select "Safe Mode" & is still present when Windows opens in Safe Mode. I flashed the Bios & reinstalled the drivers. I don't know what else to try except to open up the laptop, blow it out, & check for something loose. I don't know anything about laptops & I am a little nervous about doing it. I will wait for some advice before I venture into the unknown.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Okaytrythis

And the problem had existed before you flashed the BIOS and updated drivers?

With the problem existing before OS boot and also in Safe Mode you're ruled out any potential software problems. And you're now looking at possible hardware issues.

Do you have an external monitor you can hook up? Flashing there will point at motherboard or graphics issues. If it's not flashing on the external it's going to be related to the LCD screen of the monitor.

Ishkrish

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hello,

I certainly agree with WR2 on this one. Let's see if there's another monitor that will determine whether the display itself is bad, or if it's one of the motherboard/graphics components.

What model of notebook were you working with there? Perhaps we can recover a service manual for you if it's out of warranty?

Okaytrythis

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hello,

This is an HP Pavilion dv4-1275mx. It went out of warranty in March. I built my desktop in 2006 & haven't had any problems so, why do I need an extended warranty on a laptop. I guess I don't always make the best decisions.

The problem was present before flashing bios & reinstalling the driver. It started as green horizontal lines in the bottom of the screen. I do have a monitor but I will need to locate the proper cable. My desktop uses dvi. I will get it hooked up but it may be tomorrow before I can get back to you with the results.

Thanks for your time!

Okaytrythis

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Well, I wasn't able to find a monitor adapter to fit my laptop. I did use the HDMI port & connected the laptop to my TV. The picture is perfect. Is it safe to assume that the display is the culprit?

Okaytrythis

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hello,

I found the proper cable. As with the HDMI the picture is great.

The picture on the laptop got worse. The whole screen began jumping up & down. The connections for the display seemed fine. I gave up and unplugged the the ribbon on the back of the display. This isn't what I had in mind. Does this sound like any display problem that you have seen in the past?

Bewildered

Okaytrythis

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Hello Again,

I found the proper cable. As with the HDMI the picture is great.

The picture on the laptop got worse. The whole screen began jumping up & down. The connections for the display seemed fine. I gave up and unplugged the the ribbon on the back of the display. This isn't what I had in mind. Does this sound like any display problem that you have seen in the past?

Bewildered

Ishkrish

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Good Morning,

Well we know it's a hardware issue due to the problem happening outside of windows. Based on your feedback I would be leaning towards the display being bad on the notebook not the video/motherboard.

I'm still a little cautious, it may be worthwhile to try the other connector type if you are able to dig up an adapter. (Would just be worth ruling out prior to deciding what to do next).

So far, it appears to be the display or display connectors which would require a repair. One thing you could try is to open and close the notebook gently and see if there is any flickering occurring on the notebook's display. This can sometimes be a sign of the connector cable between the motherboard and the display going which is the least costly repair we could encounter in this scenario. (This is because the connector typically runs through the hinges, so watch for weak hinges or if moving the hinges effects the flickering display)

- Another DVI/VGA adapter exhibits the same issues on the notebook display - (Replace the display)
- Another DVI/VGA adapter exhibits different issues or no screen flickering - (let us know)

Also, as a last resort you can also consider removing the bottom panels and re-seating the components out of good practice. Parts like the ram and the hard drive are customer-replaceable parts and are typically easily accessible. If you're at a point where you're thinking about buying a new one or repairing, give this a shot.

Best of luck,

Okaytrythis

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I found a DVI/VGA cable. There is no jumping on the monitor. I did check to ensure that the display cable was properly seated..

I found a service manual online. I disconnected the cable from the display for now. I contacted HP about a display but they never got back with me. I guess it will take a phone call to get any information.

Is there more chance that the display is okay and the cable is bad? Would it be better ($) to purchase a cable first?

Once again, thanks for your time!

Ishkrish

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Good Morning Okaytrythis,

Sorry for the late response, it's been a busy week.

Just to clarify, the connector cable i'm referring to that may be bad would be within the notebook itself. Typically there's a cable which runs inside the hinge of your notebook to feed the display on the top half the video feed from the components on the bottom half.

Sometimes this gets worn out from hinge use over time.

So far, this might be a good thing that the other monitor doesn't have issues as this may be a sign the display is bad and not the motherboard itself. Unfortunately, if it's not in warranty the cost of repair might run you up a couple hundred bucks.

Here's a link to a diagram showing the display and cable, Number 2.
http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/images/cms/compaq-hp-pavilion-laptop-parts-exploded-numbered-cmp.jpg

Sample part page with pricing for a replacement display: (I can't vouch for this site, I've never bought from them before. Shop around, this gives you a rough idea of the cost of parts alone as a starting point.)

http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/i-2877103-lcd-screen-display-14-1-wxga-tft-antiglare.html

So, based on your findings that the external monitor does (((Not))) have the same issue as the display on the notebook itself, I'm going with the most likely culprit being the display of the notebook itself is bad.

I'd be open to anyone else's opinion regarding the issue! If this was my notebook, this is the direction I would take.

You may want to contact support by phone just to get the final word on what they can do for you to assess your options. If you feel comfortable taking on a repair like this on your own, we can likely dig up a service manual to help you out.

Hope this helps you out, cheers!

Okaytrythis

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Ishkrish, thank you for your time and all the information. I was thinking that you would say the display was bad because opening or closing did not make any changes. I did find the HP display and naturally I will have to go to a third party to get it. The links are very much appreciated. Always better to have more options.

Once again, thank you
Okaytrythis

WinterCast

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015

This is not actually a solution but i have the same Problems, im afraid i need to have a long time to find the freaking cable, i would like to know anything that causes it inside the LCD for further inspection.