Laptop displays black screen

PandaBear88

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
Recently I took apart my laptop to clean it, and after putting it back together the screen only displays black (but I do hear the laptop power on). The only reason I can imagine is that the ribbons weren't properly connected back in. I already re-checked the ribbon connections and they seem right. Do the 3 ribbons between the keyboard part of the laptop and the main part effect the display? Are there some methods for fixing it I can try? I already attempted holding the power button for 30 seconds with the battery out, and powering up with the HDD removed.
Thanks!

Either the ribbon cable that connects the display is loose, damaged, bent, pinched somewhere, etc., the display just happened to go after your working on it (it happens) or the graphics card/GPU went.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

PandaBear88

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

would the ribbon cable that connects the display be attached from the separate keyboard section to the main part of the laptop? there were 3 ribbons that i had to detach, two small and one wide.
If one of the ribbons were bent / pinched (which likely happened when I was putting it back in) is there a way to fix it, or do I need to replace the ribbons?

I'll test an external monitor also, but I'm fairly sure a ribbon being bent is the cause of the black screen.
Thanks

Blackink

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from PandaBear88 : "How to fix laptop?"

I would go back and double check the placement of the ribbon. Yes, this means going back and un-clipping the fastener and moving/pulling the ribbon back out.
Make sure it's all the way in and straight in as well.

Don't use a metal object to unclip that fastener with, or be VERY careful if you do, or find either a toothpick like item or something made of plastic that is thin.

PandaBear88

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

I did that but the display still didn't work. It's very likely that I accidentally bent the ribbon while putting it back in. Do I need to replace the ribbons or can they be repaired possibly?
Thanks

Blackink

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014

That....I don't know the answer to, sorry!
Hopefully someone else can see this and help you with suggestions....

PandaBear88

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
that's ok, thanks for helping as much as you could.
i re-opened the computer and one of the ribbons definitely was pinched / bent up when i put it back in before.
does anybody know if they can be repaired or should i buy another ribbon cable?
thanks

PandaBear88

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

thanks!
i checked for the part on ebay and it's for sale, but there are different numbers of pins with the same model number. how do i know how many pins it should have?
thanks