Laptop does not use NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zynthor_

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Hello guys,

I have a problem with the laptop i bought a few days ago.
first of all the specs:

Acer Aspire v 15 Nitro VN7-592G-76H2
Windows 10
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
12 GB DDR4 Memory
Intel i7-6700HQ
Intel HD Graphics 530

I think my laptop only uses the Intel Graphics card because i get 180 fps in minecraft and 80 fps in csgo (the only games i installed to compare to my desktop pc). and the weird thing is i get black bars in csgo what i can't turn off. in my nvidia control panel the only tab i have is 3D Settings. And i need the Display tab to turn off black bars. but the important thing is how i can get my laptop to use my nvidia card for most of the process. i tried to turn off the intel graphic card and succeeded but when i startup csgo it said i need a graphics card to play the game (in short terms).

i know a lot of people had this problem and some solutions but i can't find anything that works for me.

Thanks for your response!

Solution
The reason why your gpu isn't functioning correctly is because I'm pretty sure you don't know how Nvidia Optimus actually works.

Optimus NEEDS the Intel IGPU active. Reason being is because of how the pipline works:

1. GPU creates frames.
2. GPU puts frames in the frame buffer.
3. Optimus copy's the frame.
4. Optimus paste's it to the IGPU's frame buffer (via PCI-E)
5. IGPU outputs frame to display.

This is why the IGPU needs to stay on, no matter which GPU your primarily using, the IGPU is always displaying the final image to the display. There are NO direct display connections to the discrete GPU.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Keep the IGPU enabled.
2. In Nvidia's Control Panel, 3d settings, set Global settings to auto.
3. Go...
The reason why your gpu isn't functioning correctly is because I'm pretty sure you don't know how Nvidia Optimus actually works.

Optimus NEEDS the Intel IGPU active. Reason being is because of how the pipline works:

1. GPU creates frames.
2. GPU puts frames in the frame buffer.
3. Optimus copy's the frame.
4. Optimus paste's it to the IGPU's frame buffer (via PCI-E)
5. IGPU outputs frame to display.

This is why the IGPU needs to stay on, no matter which GPU your primarily using, the IGPU is always displaying the final image to the display. There are NO direct display connections to the discrete GPU.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Keep the IGPU enabled.
2. In Nvidia's Control Panel, 3d settings, set Global settings to auto.
3. Go to the CSGO profile in 3d settings, then select the "high performance Nvidia Processor".

As for your black bar issue, I think it's an aspect ratio issue. If your resolution is the typical 1366 x 768 or 1920 x 1080, then make sure the aspect ratio is 16:9 and the resolution is your native one.

Solution

Zynthor_

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

Thanks for the response! you made it pretty clear that both need to stay on, as for the black bars i use the aspect ratio 4:3 with 1280x1024 on a screen with aspect ratio 16:9 with 1920x1080. but i prefer the 1280x1024 resolution with stretched screen. i just dont know how to get it stretched.

nattt3001

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
I have EXACTLY the same problem on minecraft, I don't go over 200 fps and I did what you said and you know what ? It was on autoselsction and it doesn't go over 200 fps :( I don''t understand :(

First off, why on earth do you need more than 200fps? Unless you have a 200hz monitor, there isn't much of a need for that.

Please make a new thread regarding your problem, please do not use another persons thread for your questions. It makes organizing much easier.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.