Laptop expansion slots on Lenovo Y50

Xttony

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I want to put a m.2 SSD in a Lenovo Y50 that I am about to purchase. But the Lenovo y50 laptop does not have a m.2 slot for a m.2 SSD, so can I just plug the SSD in the pcie port?
So can I unplug the wireless card[wifi + bluetooth] and put my m.2 SSD in that slot?
I can always put an external wifi receiver.

No. The M.2 connector is physically different from the mPCIe connector used for wifi cards.

The mPCIe connector is actually physically the same as the mSATA connector, but that was done only to keep design costs down. They are connected to the motherboard differently - the former gets PCIe, the latter gets SATA.

Xttony

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
But as far I know that the desktop PCs have PCIE SSD, so I think a SSD can interface through PCIe. But I don't know if it is same in laptops. Is there anyway that I can connect the PCIe port to SATA?

Ok, you seem to have been brainwashed by the review sites into thinking that SATA3 is junk and that you must have a PCIe SSD.

How fast a drive feels depends on how long you have to wait (seconds) for it to complete an operation. MB/s is the inverse of wait time, and so the benefit of faster drives is horribly exaggerated if you compare MB/s. Look what happens if you compare how long you have to wait for the following drives to load a 1 GB level file in a game:

8 sec = 125 MB/s HDD
4 sec = 250 MB/s SATA2 SSD
2 sec = 500 MB/s SATA3 SSD
1 sec = 1000 MB/s PCIe SSD

See how every time you double MB/s, the reduction in wait time is halved? That's why those really big MB/s numbers don't really matter - the bigger the MB/s, the smaller improvement it represents in terms of wait time. They exaggerate the actual benefit you'll see when you're sitting in front of the computer. The reason the industry and review sites measure speeds in MB/s instead of sec/MB is because it exaggerates the benefit of tiny increases in performance, thus making you want to go out there and spend lots more money on new technology which gives only a tiny improvement in performance. It's just marketing.

On top of that, a game level isn't going to be a 1 GB sequential read. More than likely it's a bit of sequential reads + a bunch of random small file reads. And all these drives are the same speed at reading random small files - about 25-35 MB/s and 70k-100k IOPS. So the speed difference between these drives is going to be even smaller, or even nonexistent.

In real-life tasks, the only people who'll really benefit from the PCIe SSDs are people who regularly work with large sequential files. e.g. Real-time video editing. Even SATA 3 is overkill. When you compare SSDs on SATA 2 vs SATA 3, SATA 3 performs substantially faster in benchmarks. But in real-life tasks, their speed is nearly indistinguishable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110.html

And the difference between SATA 3 and PCIe in real-life tasks is even smaller. Compared to a HDD, the SATA 3 SSD reduces your wait time in the best case (sequential reads) by 8 seconds, the PCIe SSD reduces your wait time by 9 seconds. That's the real-world difference you're going to see - almost negligible. In the most extreme case, compared to a HDD the SATA 3 SSD gives you 89% the wait time reduction of a PCIe SSD. In most real-life cases, the difference is even smaller. So don't fret over your laptop not supporting PCIe SSDs.

Xttony

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I know what you are saying and I also know that PCIe SSDs are not as good for me to pay 1.5 to 2 times than a regular SATA SSD. But at this point I cannot afford a big SSD. I can only go for a 250ishGB so if there was a way to put M.2 SSD i still would have the SATA slot free for a regular 2TB HDD that I am getting with the laptop.

As I need to do a lot of photo/video editing I need a SSD. The laptop comes with a 5400rpm HDD.

At this point I don't want to spend a whole lot on a laptop as I don't have much money and this will be a temporary replacement for my desktop, when I am not at home. If I have smaller storage on my laptop I just have to send files from the laptop to the desktop more often.