Solved! Laptop fan adhered to the heatsink

Sep 27, 2019
I took my laptop in to BestBuy for a fan replacement, but they said they couldn't do it because the fan was adhered to the heatsink and the cables go underneath the motherboard. Is it safe to take it somewhere local, or should I try to do it myself and buy the tools for it?

Solution
I would try a local tech rather than trying to do it yourself. I find it rather odd that the so called tech at that particular store wouldn't do it. Then again it really depends on if they are an actual tech. Don't get me started.

As stated originally, I would try a local tech. It would be wiser than trying to do so yourself and if by some odd chance they do any damage in the process they are responsible for fixing said damage (on them) where as you would be stuck spending more to repair anything you may damage during the work. Also, the tech should give you a warranty. It may not be for long, but it is better to have one.
I would try a local tech rather than trying to do it yourself. I find it rather odd that the so called tech at that particular store wouldn't do it. Then again it really depends on if they are an actual tech. Don't get me started.

As stated originally, I would try a local tech. It would be wiser than trying to do so yourself and if by some odd chance they do any damage in the process they are responsible for fixing said damage (on them) where as you would be stuck spending more to repair anything you may damage during the work. Also, the tech should give you a warranty. It may not be for long, but it is better to have one.

Solution
Sep 27, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I took it apart a little more than I have before, and I think I see what they were talking about? The whole copper pipe and heatsink are attached to the fan by some means, and there is a wifi chip that doesn't seem to have removable parts that go around into a place that makes it difficult to remove the motherboard to take out the fan

Oh I am not surprised it is 'complicated' to do. Some devices really are set up to not allow for general access. However they are paid people at that store who do the repairs, so it is odd that they turned down the work.

As I said before, I would try a local tech. Either that or contact the manufacturer.

Sep 27, 2019
Oh I am not surprised it is 'complicated' to do. Some devices really are set up to not allow for general access. However they are paid people at that store who do the repairs, so it is odd that they turned down the work.

As I said before, I would try a local tech. Either that or contact the manufacturer.
Alright, thanks for the advice!