Laptop Fan Problem?

choshoguay

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
Hi! As of late, I've noticed my laptop fan has been experiencing a rather annoying rattling sound; and it's growing increasingly louder as time passes by. I can already tell this is very likely to be a hardware issue, and I've checked by opening up my case and knowing it's a CPU fan problem (don't worry I grounded myself while checking) and that there are no other moving parts since I have an SSD and no optical drive. I already know I should probably replace my fan due to this rattle to prevent any risk to my CPU, but I need to use my laptop to study for finals coming up for the next few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any quick solutions/any ideas that may help. The only laptop fans that I can find that are available for my unit are from China, and I'm in the US so it would take quite a while for it to arrive, so my options are limited. Oh, also, my warranty expired quite some time ago (maybe 6 or 7 months ago?), so I would need to do this by myself or go to a local repair shop and get charged quite a bit of money.

For those that are willing to help, I have a Lenovo y40-70 and the CPU/GPU fan looks something like this.

Thank you to anyone that is willing to help!

P.S. I forgot to mention that if I move my laptop around, the rattling gets louder and more aggressive as I lift it off a table or whatnot. This is quite nerve-wrecking as I would be in quite a bad position if my laptop fan decides to stop working during finals. Any help is appreciated!

Hi,

Your best bet right now is to locate any nearest Lenovo Repair shop and might have some spare parts for your laptop which you can buy from them. Or better yet contacting Lenovo themselves and check with them if they have any shop close to your place. Also see for yourself if there aren't anything hitting the fan fins that may be causing that sound. I would highly recommend replacing the fan right away because you'll never know how long it would function with that fan problem.

choshoguay

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
Just asked around the area, and none seem to have the part that I need. Do you think I should just tough it out and hopefully it will last until Winter Break? Or is this a sign I need a new laptop?