Laptop fell down to the ground! Working but should I be worried?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geir

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
My lapton fell down to the ground from a height of about 50 cm (1.64 feet). It was on and everything is working as it should. Have had no blue screens or black screens or any errors so far. Should I be worried?! I have very sensitive data inside. Do you think the HD might have sustained some damage?! What tests can I do to verify that everything is working as it should?!

Not sure, maybe this HP laptop is built to withstand such a fall?!

Geir

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009

So you think that the HD is more vulnerable than the motherboard or CPU?! It's a Hitachi drive. I will run a drive fitness test.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The motherboard and CPU are solid and have no moving parts, and well protected by the casing itself. It's almost impossible to damage them by dropping.

The hard disk, on the other hand, is not as well secured, has moving parts, and is delicate by nature.

07bloomfieldb

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
The only time I've killed anything in a laptop is the hdd, and the battery retaining clips, when I hurled it from the top of the room, in a fit of rage. :eek: :eek:

Still a good excuse to upgrade the frankly diabolical wd caviar blue

Geir

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009

I'm lucky that I have had no black or blue screens, no hangs etc... I ran the Hitachi diagnostic tool. It took long time, but returned no errors found on HD. So I guess I been lucky:)

Status
Not open for further replies.