Laptop for 3D rendering/modelling

asb468

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
So I'm going to university very soon and I'm in need of a laptop. The reason I need a laptop over a desktop is due to the portability of it. The laptop needs to be capable of 3D modelling and rendering as well as light gaming (league). No budget set at the moment but as long as it's under £1000. Pref sold from Amazon and other trusted UK sellers.

Check list:
Capable of:
Basic browsing,
3D rendering (blender or autodesk will most likely be the used programs),
3d modelling,
Working with game engines,
Gaming,
Word processing,
Under £1000
Sold from trust sellers

Solution
Depending on the Autodesk software your best option would be a gaming video card in that laptop, not a workstation one. Because Blender and Autodesk 3Ds Max uses DirectX and not OpenGL for wire-frame work. Thefore a gaming card will be faster than a Quadro or FirePro. If you were working with CAD that is a solely OpenGL and wireframe so a workstation video card is necessary.

Than you have all the game engines like Unreal and CRYEngine which uses DirectX + the games you want to play. It will be painfully slow with settings on high.

I suggest finding a laptop with a GTX 1050 since its new, power friendly and faster than a M980 (last generation)...

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Depending on the Autodesk software your best option would be a gaming video card in that laptop, not a workstation one. Because Blender and Autodesk 3Ds Max uses DirectX and not OpenGL for wire-frame work. Thefore a gaming card will be faster than a Quadro or FirePro. If you were working with CAD that is a solely OpenGL and wireframe so a workstation video card is necessary.

Than you have all the game engines like Unreal and CRYEngine which uses DirectX + the games you want to play. It will be painfully slow with settings on high.

I suggest finding a laptop with a GTX 1050 since its new, power friendly and faster than a M980 (last generation)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-7RD-207UK-Kabylake-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B01NAQQ55H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489719238&sr=8-2&keywords=MSI+GL62M

Solution