Laptop for Animation?

WindmillKey

Estimable
May 26, 2014
Hello! I'm thinking about going to school for animation in a year or two, but am hoping to get started early. . . Also I've been borrowing my brother's laptop for ages now and ideally I'd like to give it back to him before it ages too much~

1. What is your budget?
Preferably around $1500 (CAD), but maybe up to $2000. Eh...

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Around 14 inches I think? I actually purchased one recently, 15 inches, 'cause I thought that was what my brother's was! But when I came home with it, much to my surprise, the 15" one was a bit bigger.
So 14" ish preferably.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p, 64 bit

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
What?

5. How much battery life do you need?
Ideally, I have a power station nearby. I only travel with it every two weeks for about 5 hours on a bus before getting to an airport. This is less important with a phone handy, but still, something decent would be nice.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Nope! Not much of a PC gamer.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Animating, and comics! Editing pictures. And watching the odd cartoon. Animating's the big one.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB to 1TB? I have an external drive for storing stuff, just need enough room to actually work with. I'm curious about SSDs, too, but don't know enough about them.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Nope...?

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
The longer the better!

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I think the last time I used one was (actually pretty recently) for a tablet driver, which I'd hope could be found online. . .

I don't remember the last time I used one before that. So, not tooooo overly fussed.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I absolutely adored my old HP I had aeons ago. It only lasted a couple of years though before spiralling downwards. Then I borrowed my mom's/brother's Toshiba...
... Either it was windows 7 I didn't like or the Toshibas themselves but I've grown somewhat accustomed to both now, I guess.

But I'm not sold/set on either, looking around at all the other shiny brands.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Was looking at some of the recommended specs for animation hardware, and they are as follows:

8GB ram
7200 rpm (the one below would probably be fine?)
processors-- at least dual core 2Ghz min (intel 15-i7?) (quad core??)
256-512 mb video card (supporting direct3d or openGL)

I'm probably more into 2d animation than 3d so the specs might be a bit more than required, but I do want to keep my options open. It's possible I'd look at a desktop later on, but right now it's a laptop I'm after.

Thanks for your help!! I'm truly at a loss, have shopped around and just... not sure in the slightest what's 'good' these days ><

Maxime506

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Read this and see if u have better idea: http://www.regent.edu/acad/undergrad/pdf/animation_hardware_requirements.pdf

But spending 1500 bucks on just a laptop for animation will be abundant. Generally a laptop with i3 CPU or better, with discrete graphic card (GT 640M/740M or better or AMD HD 8670M/R7-M265 something). Such laptop generally won't cost u more than 1 grand.

Eh Lenovo Y410p will be ideal for you, only 800 bucks but a powerful laptop with i7 quad-core CPU and powerful GT 755M graphics (good for graphic design!). 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD should be enough or more than enough but it will definitely make your laptop last longer in performance without major upgrade.

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y410p/