Laptop for College?

meghan1728

Estimable
Jun 30, 2015
Sorry for the unoriginal title, but I don't really know how to make an interesting title around asking for laptop help. Off-topic. Anyway, as inferred by the thread title, I'm trying to find a new laptop for college.
1. What is your budget?
$1,500, though I can flex a little higher if necessary.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?.
Between 13"-15", though I will go bigger if need be.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I don't really know much about resolution, so I'll go with 1080p.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Seeing as it's for college, it has to be portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Probably between 5-6 hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I do have a Steam account, and I'm looking to play games like Fallout 3, Left4Dead, and games of that nature, However, that isn't as important to me, but it would be a nice bonus.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm going into film/cinema studies and directing, so I'm going to need to be able to edit video and such.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I've heard 1TB is good? I'm sorry, I know next to nothing about good specs or anything.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Right now I'm seriously considering this Dell laptop:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=dncwt5131b&model_id=xps-13-9343-laptop

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Throughout most, if not all, of undergrad, so probably around 4-5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer, I suppose. Basically, I'd like it to have a CD drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Really anything that's not Apple. I don't hate Apple, but I am a lot more familiar/used to Windows. However, if a MacBook is the best option, then I'll deal with it.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'd like it to have at least 2 USB ports. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Thank you in advance for your help!

utgotye

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
I'd be looking at a mid to high spec Ultrabook, of which you will have plenty of choice. Whether or not you will need/want an Ethernet port and/or a CD drive can really narrow the choices down. Another thing to consider is whether or not you need/want a tablet/transformer. Consider these additional criteria and you can proceed further.

meghan1728

Estimable
Jun 30, 2015
Ah, okay. In that case, an ethernet port would be nice. And I don't need a transformer. I'm trying to look around, but I keep getting the same results, so I don't know if it's a ~sign~ or if I'm not searching in the right places.