Solved! Laptop for Content Creation and Gaming

Apr 8, 2020
Hello everyone
I am looking for a new laptop for the following uses:
  1. Studies – Computer Engineering Student (MS Office, MATLAB, etc,,)
  2. Content Creation, Video and Photo editing (Adobe Creative Suite)
  3. Gaming in free time (CS:GO)
(Excuse me for grammar mistakes since am not a native English speaker)
I had looked through various models of ultra books, workstations and gaming laptops, and from my research I understood that gaming laptops will be the best for my uses; since they have the best cooling systems. I currently have the XPS 15 9530 (2013 model) and it gets highly heated.
My budget is at max 4000 USD.
The models I have kept in mind are:
  1. MSI GS75-Stealth
  2. MSI GT75 Titan
  3. ROG G703GXR EV015T
  4. Alienware Area51m

I believe that CPU and RAM are most important for Adobe CS, therefore, all of the above laptops are configured with 9th gen i9 CPU, and 32 or 64 gigs of RAM.
And because I only play CS:GO which is considered a non-heavy game, I don’t have any specific GPU requirements in mind. Any decent graphic processor would work.
Regarding the MSI GS75 Stealth, I am afraid of heating issues since it is “slim and thin”
I have read that the Alienware Area51m comes with an i9-9900K, which is a desktop processor. I would really benefit of such fast CPU, but am afraid of heating issues since consumes 95 watts.
Also, I will be taking the laptop to college (not on daily basis)

I would appreciate to hear your thoughts regarding the issues I have mentioned, and would like to hear your suggestions with other models.

Cheers,
Lawati

Solution
Any gaming laptop will run pretty hot, especially the thinner models. Asus ROG models I am not to happy with, they tend to run louder than many other laptops and the motherboards fail quite a bit. MSI, Clevo, Sager, Lenovo would probably be my top 4 gaming laptop brands now. Maybe Gigabyte but I have not looked into those much.
Any gaming laptop will run pretty hot, especially the thinner models. Asus ROG models I am not to happy with, they tend to run louder than many other laptops and the motherboards fail quite a bit. MSI, Clevo, Sager, Lenovo would probably be my top 4 gaming laptop brands now. Maybe Gigabyte but I have not looked into those much.

Solution

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Your requirements are tough... I have the Lenovo Y540 - the max RAM you can have is 32GB....the processor is the i7-9750hf and the GPU is the RTX 2060.

I think it works very well, and you can always undervolt the CPU. I play games and the temps stay under control.

You didnt mention the display...this one has a 1920x1080 at 144hz... do you need 4K?

R