Laptop for Data science and analytics (masters) - form filled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitry

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Hello everyone!

I need some advice and guidance in choosing laptop for my Masters in Data Science and Analytics.
This is my first time looking for a computer (laptop in particular) for a specific task. I've read lot's of articles on the matter but I am still confused which one to choose. Can you advise any specific model or a range of models to choose from for the aforementioned goal?
Below are some ideas and info. Thank's in advance for your help.

1. What is your budget?
1,200 USD (may be additional 100 USD)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Something around 15". I will need to carry it around so monstrosities are not welcomed although somewhat wanted xD

3. What screen resolution do you want?
HD? UHD? Any suggestions?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I need a portable/desktop replacement laptop. But portability is more essential.

5. How much battery life do you need?
The more the better but power socket can always be found.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
This laptop will be needed for studying and later on for working (or just studying).

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
No additional tasks are expected to be done but who knows.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1TB hdd and around 256 GB SSD (or may be other suggestions?).

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Anything available in US.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 years at least.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not really sure if I need one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
This is the main reason to ask for help here as I do not have any preferences at the moment and it is difficult to choose from the variety of brands and models.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.