Question Laptop for editing

jons45

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
I have some old vhs tapes and camcorder tapes that I need to transfer and edit for a family member and need to be done fairly quickly. Try various free editing programs that all seem to struggle. Is there a cheapish laptop with the correct spec I should be looking for even it's it's in used condition? Thanks

You mentioned trying editing programs but how you are getting the VHS audio/video into the computer? Do you have a video capture card? Have you checked to see what commercial conversion services would cost? What format is desired for the finished product?

jons45

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Hi.
I'm using ClearClick Video to Digital Converter 2.0 to copy from vhs or camcorder to usb/sd. As for getting them transferred by a commercial company is going to be around £15 a tape and they would still need to be edited. Like to transfer them on to usb or dvd

I have little experience with video editing. I do know (from seeing many questions here on Tom's) that video editing typically needs a fairly powerful machine with a lot of RAM. Does that mean a cheaper machine will work if you are just patient with how slow it is? I don't know. I suggest you read a lot of reviews of the editing software and see what they require for running. Sorry I can't be more specific.

BTW, I just bought a new laptop for $2k+. It has a separate graphics engine (which cheaper machines don't have). If I wanted to do video editing, the recommendation was to upgrade two levels on the video engine for several hundred dollars more. That would be for "pro level" editing but kind of gives you an idea. If your editing is just cutting and pasting, that is not so intense.