Solved! Laptop for Electrical Engineering Major

dover_68

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Hello. I will be attending the University of Akron this fall for electrical engineering. I need to get a laptop for college but I am unsure of what kind I would need for my major. I would assume I would need a powerful processor and lots of RAM, but would I really need a powerful graphics card for electrical engineering? As a note I would like to do some moderate gaming outside of class. Thanks in advance for any help. I do not care what brand it is as long as its not a Mac.

Solution

dover_68

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
My bad. Thanks for the link.

1. What is your budget?

No more than $3000 but preferably below $2000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Preferably 15.6" - 17" But should be reasonably mobile because I will have to carry it with me to class every day. I am a strong guy so weight is no problem.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

720p or 1080p HD screen

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Doesn't matter too much (see the size question above)

5. How much battery life do you need?

Battery life isn't too important because I can always buy a second battery pack.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes I will do some moderate gaming on the laptop. The games would mostly be GTA IV and Microsoft's FSX if possible. As for settings I would like medium or better.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

The laptop will also serve as my main computer so I will use it to store music and photos. I will also watch movies on it. Its primary use will be for schoolwork for my major. I am an electrical engineering major so I would like on opinions on what type of laptop would be best for this major.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I would say at least 500GB - 750GB in case I have large project files.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

No specific sites

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

4-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD writer or blu-ray, doesn't matter

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I will use any major brand (lenovo, HP, Dell, Samsung, Asus, etc.)

I will not use a Mac though I'm a windows guy.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

None

Have a look at Sager NP8130
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-clevo-p151hm1-out-stock-eta-march-p-2973.html

Solution

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
The one question not answered in this survey is how long can you afford to not have your laptop if it has to be repaired?

Sager offers a 3 day each way shipping option, plus the time for repair. You could be out of your laptop for 2 weeks. IF thats ok, then its a good buy. If you cant live with that then find a brand that offers onsite repair with those features.

Good luck in school..