Laptop for family member under $500

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hey guy's I'm looking to help purchase a laptop for a family member today and the budget is set at around $500 with taxes.

1. What is your budget?
$500 Cdn

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Not sure, Decent enough for movie/video streaming and such. Maybe 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
W/e is a good size for videos and surfing tasks. I'll leave this to the community.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
This will be specifically be used as a first laptop purchase, not replacing anything.

5. How much battery life do you need?
A decent amount, anything that can hold it's own so 2-4hrs? Not sure what's the average.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Possibly, but it's not the plan, maybe non intense games like WoW on low-med graphics or older gen games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I want this laptop to run video's and such without lag and delay, nothing too intense just for family use. Stream movies onto my 42" LCD tv.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gb?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Considering either www.newegg.ca or www.tigerdirect.ca .... Canadian store locations

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'd say a few years. Certainly nothing I have to replace too early. Once again not sure the longevity so the community can decide.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I'd like for it to have a DVD Rom , a burner if possible and BLUray is BONUS but def not a must.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not sure which brand to go at this point. Something with good rep, community can decide.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

In closing, I have looked at a few laptops and few told me the b940 is decent for my reasons stated above. If I could get some help finding a decent one under $500 it would be very appreciated. Once again this is mainly for movie streaming, web surfing and minor gaming. I would also like to use the laptop to connect to my 42" LCD to watch movies.

Thanks!! Awaiting reply's

Solution
Hello

If you can grab it while it's still on sale BestBuy Canada has a HP G6 15.6" notebook for $470
AMD Quad-Core A6-3400M APU (1.4Ghz Turbo 2.3Ghz), 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD and 15.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ HD 6520G graphics.

It's a nice price and pretty well balanced for you want.

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for the reply, but a little over budget. On .ca sites a6-3400's are going for 550-570 before taxes. Looking for something a little bit cheaper unfortunately.

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Yes that 2nd one you linked, so many reviews. Too bad a closer shop doesn't have it. I'd have to order and do pick up on the laptop.

So many to consider it's insane. Being a router newbie I don't want to pick up the wrong one.

As far as the routers from Rogers which is my net provider, they are all expensive gateway routers, I'd rather not get it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.