Laptop for mixed use around 900$

xzahn

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
Hi,

I need a laptop for programming but I don't want to spend money on something that I can use for one thing only. By programming I mean not only the literal coding but also Photoshop and web design. I'm also going to use the laptop for general stuff like browsing and light gaming. Basically I need good all around machine. I'll carry it around but I'll mostly use it inside, so battery is not priority. Web Design means I'll work with colors, so decent screen is a must. I imagine a good keyboard and pad would be good. I say imagine because I've never had a laptop before and I have no idea what bad, ok or good keyboard means. Same with the pad. Few months ago tried to buy on lease Acer V17 Nitro BE which was 1500$ at that point. I got declined. I'll try again and the lower the price the higher my chances are. I figured that if I'm sacrificing performance I might compensate with durability so the machine last me for a few years. In specs:

CPU: Preferably i5
Screen: At least 15.6'' matte screen with decent resolution and color reproduction, preferably 17.3''
Storage: Some sort of SSD - I could sacrifice it if other features are present and there is a free slot for later upgrade
Memory: At least 4GB or RAM, preferably 8.

Models that I'm currently considering:
HP ProBook 470 G3 - Decent balance between specs. It has bad screen, though.
Dell Inspiron 7559 - Great looks, but its 15.6'' and I'm worried about the build quality.
Dell Inspiron 5759 - Very balanced one. The screen is TN Full HD, but not sure how good it is. I do not really like the design as well.
Dell Latitude E5550 - I like the minimalistic design, the 3 year warranty, but its seems very overpriced for the specs. The 900$ model has really bad screen. And it's 15.6'' as well.
ASUS ROG G551JX-CN129D - This is more on the performance side, not sure about the build quality.

I'm torn...

xzahn

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014

Looks nice, it has the performance, but the screen is kinda shady, no sure if I'll better for the price range though. Its a bit more expensive than my budget also